Making Windows 10 work with extremely limited resources

Associate
Hi, I've got quite the challenge ahead:

My wife's laptop has been sent for parts replacement and the only spare I got is an ancient Packard Bell subnotebook from 2010.
The age alone would make it challenging, however we're not talking about your average 2010 laptop but the absolute bottom tier of the era, powered by a single core Atom processor and a paltry 2GB RAM.

I've successfully installed Windows 10 on it and took several days to update and shut down all non-essential services, however I'm sure there is further room for optimization.
I'm aware that at best it won't run optimally, however what I'm aiming at is the ability of opening a browser without waiting 5 minutes.

Do you guys have any suggestion?
Thank you in advance!

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry but I have to stick with Windows 10, some university stuff of her needs that.
Any suggestion for a good tutorial on turning off non-essential stuff? I might have gone overboard and now the start menu isn't working lol

Soldato
Sorry but I have to stick with Windows 10, some university stuff of her needs that.
Any suggestion for a good tutorial on turning off non-essential stuff? I might have gone overboard and now the start menu isn't working lol
Fix broken start menu

Associate
Is your time money ? If so, buy your way around the problem - its cheaper in the long run*. Go buy a used laptop from ebay for about £100 and use that instead and get on with the work you need to do. £110 will buy you an i5, 8Gb ram, SSD Thinkpad T440 like this which will do everything you need with no real performance issues and stop your waiting times. ( There are many other laptops out there, but I have a preference for Thinkpads )

*At minimum wage of £10/hr, waiting a whole day for a machine to complete something costs £240 ... or £110 to buy a machine that will work quickly.

Last edited:
Soldato
ChromeOS will not work on old Atom CPU with GMA GPU

ChromeOS alternative is Android x86 but people reported Android 9.0 will not worked with old Atom CPU with GMA GPU so try old Android versions below 9.0.

Linux are terrible with Atom N450 CPU with GMA GPU. CPU run at 100% load with 188 too many background process when open 1 app, ran worse than Android x86, stock Windows 10 and Tiny10.

Windows 10 run fine on Atom N450 CPU with GMA 3150.

Soldato
If the laptop doesn't have an SSD, install one. You can probably a 120GB drive up on Member's Market for under £20. If you haven't removed the bloatware modern apps, you can remove most of them in PowerShell.

I still keep a netbook, which also has 2GB of RAM and an Atom CPU - but the biggest difference was seen when I installed an SSD. Just don't expect to play YouTube videos above 720p.

Back
Top Bottom