Associate
Hi,

can someone help me out, as built a man cave and want power to it.

I want to keep the cost down and my electrician is happy to do what he needs to get power to my man cave (connect the cables for me). I currently have an outside plug and this is connected to the CU, can I spur off of this socket and run some cable to the man cave (if so what cable can I run).

Will the man cave need another CU in there for the plugs and lighting (inside & out), and also spare just in case of any other additions that may happen in the future.

Soldato
Welcome to the forum, why didn't you ask your electrician as surely he would be the one doing the work rather than sign up to some random forum?

Soldato
Welcome to the forum, why didn't you ask your electrician as surely he would be the one doing the work rather than sign up to some random forum?

Yes certainly seems a strange request if you have an electrician doing all the work, he should know exactly what's required and what needs to be done to conform to any regulations/standards.

Associate
OP
My electrician is from a friend of a friend and he said he wants to use my man cave for some work to get approved.
I do not see why asking these questions is such a big deal.

Soldato
My electrician is from a friend of a friend and he said he wants to use my man cave for some work to get approved.

This just sounds so wrong. If this electrician needs you to seek advice from a forum before he proceeds with the work then run away, fast.

Soldato

It's not a big deal, but do you not find it strange that you have an electrician in to do the work, yet you're asking questions that the electrician should know either on his behalf or for your own benefit.

It's almost like having your car in at the garage, and you seeking advice on how something should be repaired. Again, fine for your own benefit, but a bit worrying if it's the mechanic that's asking.

The point people are making is rather than us giving you advice / our opinions, your electrician (who would be fully qualified / deemed an expert) should be the one answering your questions.

Soldato
The key bit of information is how much power do you need in the man cave.

No more than 13A? Then you're simply in extension lead territory. More than that and you could spur from the existing socket - but it depends on that socket's wiring. A second small CU in the 'man cave' to separate lights and sockets would be sensible.

But ultimately, the electrician (not you or forums) is responsible for these design decisions.

Soldato

If he's using this work to get improved then he's being very trusting letting you do the work and him doing the testing. Or so I assume.

You say you have an outside socket already that is on the consumer unit in your home. Is this a radial direct from the board? Is it on the ring? Is it a spur of the ring? No mention of how you intend to get power to the cave. Is it getting buried? Clipped round the fence? Sky hooks?

To be honest, and Frank, if your friend of a friend is anything like a friend. I'd ask him to come round.

Associate
Hi,

can someone help me out, as built a man cave and want power to it.

I want to keep the cost down and my electrician is happy to do what he needs to get power to my man cave (connect the cables for me). I currently have an outside plug and this is connected to the CU, can I spur off of this socket and run some cable to the man cave (if so what cable can I run).

Will the man cave need another CU in there for the plugs and lighting (inside & out), and also spare just in case of any other additions that may happen in the future.

what is it a shed?
garage?
tee pee?

outside socket need more info for all we know it could be a 2.5 fed direct off a 32a mcb with no rcd protection
your friend of a friend needs this to get approved?
then why hasn't he been round to survey the job?
cost cutting? you mean cut corners
if its going to be used for an assessment the assessor will spot a cowboy job from a mile away

Soldato
OP -- Chear up mate - you are not the only first poster to be hung drawn a quartered on their first post. This is a computer forum manned by
skinny geeks with thick glasses and scraggy hair or the other lot who are fat slobs eating 10 burgers and drinking 20 cans of coke at one sitting.:D:D
If you have a computer problem then you have come to the right place.

Hope you find your answer to the question.:)

Soldato
There are so many variables which is why you need to get an electrician to look at it. Connecting to the existing external socket while easier will almost certainly limit you to 13 amps. It's also likely that the same RCD will be protecting both your man cave and a large proportion of you house giving you a fairly big single point of failure.

Best solution is a suitably sized SWA connected back to your cu. If I had to guess I'd say 4 or 6mm. But that is purely a guess.

What are you planning to have in the man cave. Heaters?
Gaming rig?
Kettle?
Medium Hadron Collider?

Back
Top Bottom