Manchester restaurant recommendation

Soldato
We're off to Manchester in a few months and looking for a restaurant for the Saturday night. Nothing too fancy as we've been to a few swanky/Michelin star type restaurants recently but somewhere a bit quirky with decent food would be good. Would rather avoid the chain type restaurants and go to somewhere independent if possible.

Hotel is Kimpton Clocktower which is on Oxford Street but dont mind a bit of a walk or a taxi if need be.

Thanks.

Soldato
What food you after? Hawksmoore is close if you're wanting steak. You've got your fancier places like Adam Reid at the French, but then you've got some great places that are around too such as Tast which is Catalan food, El Gato Negro etc, but could potentially recommend more if you're interested in a particular style. Of course a trip to Oxford Road McDonalds is also worth a late night visit just to see the crackheads brawl.

Soldato
Hotel is Kimpton Clocktower which is on Oxford Street but dont mind a bit of a walk or a taxi if need be.

Thanks.
The Refuge (in the hotel) does some cracking food.

Beautiful hotel too, although I always struggle to find my room after a skin full as it's a bit like a maze :D

Tnq Manchester

Second this, ate there on Thursday evening last week and was very very pleasantly surprised

Soldato
I'm a big fan of Phetpailin in Chinatown for Thai food. It's hidden away above a strip club but it's the best Thai food I've found in Manchester. It's a nice setting and reasonably priced too.

I also like Armenian Taverna by the town Hall. It's hidden away down a set of stairs and it's been there for decades. They do a great mezze platter to share but also have a great selection of Armenian dishes.

We went to Habas recently and I really enjoyed it. Great quality food. A bit pricier but a nice experience overall. It's Lebanese / middle Eastern style food. The setting is very nice too as its below ground and has a sort of vault / crypt vibe to it.

Soldato
Chimaek for Korean fried chicken. I put on a stone in a year because of that place. Not fine dining but the inside is trendy and a decent place to be, real close to your hotel too. Genuinely about the only thing that I miss about Manchester!

The other place close to you is Hatch - bit more of a street food vibe, but if you like beer then that's a good place to be. You'll also find T'Arricrii in there which had incredible arancini.

If you don't mind a short taxi ride then Mughli Charcoal Pit in Rusholme is really excellent.

Honourable mention to the Hip Hop Chip Shop in Ancoats.

Soldato
Any updates to this a year on? having scoured Reddit Im a foodie lover Im heading to Manchester tommorow until Sunday so looking for good cafe, quick bites, burgers, bbq places, dinner etc.

I underestimated how busy it would be was trying to get into Favenda / Dishoom all booked up but settled for Bem Brasil.

Places on my radar rather a mix of places

Bunny Jacksons
Phat pats
Gooey bakery
Federal
Sud Pasta Ancoats
Vincenzo trattoria
Black Milk
Pancho’s (burrito in arndale)
Bundobust
Rudys pizza
Yard & Coop
El Gato Negro Tapas

Any decent place to get ribs? I cant see many options in Manchester compared to London.

Ill be arrving late afternoon tommorow so looking for some dinner place that not packed out or fully booked ideally.

Soldato
I believe double zeros has now opened a branch in town. They make the absolute best pizzas - completely trumps Rudy's. The OG branch is also BYOB - not sure if the one in town is.

Back
Top Bottom