Many issues 4K with Radeon RX 570

Associate
I run a PLP setup and upgraded my 1440p centre monitor to a 40" 4K panel (Samsung UE40NU7120KXXU) flanked by two old 1050p HP LA2205wg.

Since running this, I've had a lot of issues. I'm using a new HDMI v2.0 18 Gbps cable but still see the following problems:

• 4K screen flickering or not receiving signal every few days. Unplugging and replugging HDMI eventually sorts it as well as toggling chroma 4:4:4 and game mode but takes about 20 minutes.
  • Even though I turn power saving off, it still turns off after a few hours. Then, sometimes but not always, after a few days, f.lux and other alternatives stop working on the 4K monitor. Other monitors unaffected.
  • Every week or so all displays go greyscale. This is not the Windows 10 greyscale feature. Reboot fixes it but not helpful when I'm running multi-day transfers.
  • Sometimes it just loses signal and goes all green until I unplug/replug multiple times and toggle game mode/4:4:4.
  • The whites are incredibly blown out on HDR10 content.

Is this most likely to be an issue with the monitor, the cable or the GPU? How can I troubleshoot?

Associate
OP
I have seen similar sort of things with my 1080ti and a vega before it.
Especially your first one.

Suspect its a crap cable in my case, its a long hdmi lead to my telly about 5m and was not expensive.

Guess that makes sense, troubleshoot the cheapest component first.

I did only pay £8 for it but it's only a 2 m run and it was advertised as 18 Gbps and HDMI v2. The old cable I replaced couldn't even handle chroma 4:4:4.

Where's recommended to get a decent cable then?

Soldato
Can I rule out it being an issue with my card not being able to power the pixels? It chugs along at about 25% according to Task Manager.
I would look at that cable first. Ive had similar issues with a **** poor DP cable and a few HDMI cables. While you shouldn't buy the stupid overly prices "gold" cables paying to little can also lead to issues. I'm sure you can find a thread somewhere with properly priced cable recommendations.

Soldato
  • Even though I turn power saving off, it still turns off after a few hours. Then, sometimes but not always, after a few days, f.lux and other alternatives stop working on the 4K monitor. Other monitors unaffected.

Blame the EU. If you don't use the remote or press any buttons on the TV for 4 hours it assumes you fell asleep and turns itself off.

Soldato
Process of elimination.

Reinstall the gpu drivers, that costs nothing but time. If that doesn't work then look at the cheapest component - the cable. Buy another one, Premium Certified this time. Itll cost you a few more quid but youll know the cable is certified to the job it is supposed to be capable of doing.

More on premium certification and what to look for:
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

If that doesn't work, time to start swapping out the expensive stuff ....

Soldato
I didn't say it would. It should stop any connection issues. If the screen auto powers down without user input (and the picture isnt static) then you would need to find a way to override that on the screen. Nothing you can do from the card.

Associate
OP
I didn't say it would. It should stop any connection issues. If the screen auto powers down without user input (and the picture isnt static) then you would need to find a way to override that on the screen. Nothing you can do from the card.
The picture is static which is why I brought up the possibility of software fixes. Surely I can't be the only person using a TV as a monitor?!

Back
Top Bottom