Mapping

Soldato
Hi all,

We are planning a charity bike ride at work, where we visit each of our sites across the country (around 130). There will be multiple legs, which we will allow people to sign up for.

The problem I am having is how to best show each leg of the bike ride, with the route.

Any ideas where I can start?

Thanks
Paul

Soldato
OP
That's great, thank you :)

edit: So the tutorial is out of date as there is a new version - but the new version doesn't seem to allow you to map a line along a road like the old one does :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
still struggling with this.

Also, does anyone know of a registration system which could allow us to display the legs and allow users to filter, and sign up to one or more legs?

Ta

Soldato
If you're planning to use roads, i don't believe it allows you to do cross-country planning, then have a look at a route planner called Tyre (iirc it's now called Tyre to Travel).
It's based around Google Maps but it allows you to visually plot a route using markers/waypoints and then you can print the map or export the data to various formats and for a handful of SatNav devices.

Start%20Tyre%20and%20plann%20you%20route-S.jpg

Associate
This can all be done is google maps. Follow the guide linked above only instead of clicked "Create Map" directly underneath the button is the option "or create with classic my maps". On this there is the option to draw along roads

Soldato
OP
This can all be done is google maps. Follow the guide linked above only instead of clicked "Create Map" directly underneath the button is the option "or create with classic my maps". On this there is the option to draw along roads

Thanks. Seemed to have a problem when going back up a road you've already been down, but will give it another go.

What are you building this in?

At the moment, no idea. None of us are web designers, but its been someones great idea that we should do this internally rather than outsource it.

Back
Top Bottom