Marketplace based on HTML?

Soldato
In short, no, html is read-only. The clue is in the name: hyper text markup language.

The moment you have some kind of dynamic update, such as the comments boxes on that site, there needs to be something on the server side to receive the text and update a data store so that new views of the pages can show the changed information (the profile with the comments). Server side isn't html, it doesn't do what is needed.

Website can do lots of clever stuff on the client browser side to make it appear dynamic but the acid test is can someone on a different device see it - if they can, the data update has gone via the server. The clever stuff is usually a mix of html, css and javascript or something else entirely such as flash or an embedded java application.

Soldato
Yes HTML is the default language to write websites, up to HTML5 last time I checked which does have some dynamic capabilities I believe such as the canvas widget.

All the dynamic stuff on any website is usually done with Javascript or PHP or some other additional scripting language.

So generally you use several languages to build a modern dynamic website although HTML is the core language which actually renders the final output.

Associate
OP
Hmm, so which other web-dev language can you recommend to do it (keeping in mind that site in overall should be lightweight to keep it working as fast as possible, even on older devices which means - no Flash)

Soldato
I don't see anything particularly clever on that example website. You could do the whole thing with wordpress. It provides lots of plugins for the server side stuff, you can achieve an awful lot without needing any coding skills.

I think you might have started with the wrong question .... what do you want to do ? Learn development or build a website like the example you gave ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Forgot to add CSS as well, it's a stylesheet language which is used to style the page, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's regarded as having dyanmic capabilites also. You can certainly achieve some cool effects with it. Been a while since I messed around with web languages.

Soldato
Hmm, so which other web-dev language can you recommend to do it (keeping in mind that site in overall should be lightweight to keep it working as fast as possible, even on older devices which means - no Flash)

The most common would be HTML5 (html, css & javascript) with php and sql.

Not something you can just pick up and do though.

If you have no development experience, you have two options:

1) Pay someone
2) Prebuilt package

Back
Top Bottom