Married Couples : Finances Split or Combined?

Soldato
I have been married for coming on 14 years and even before we were married my wife and I always shared our income.

In short it all went into one pot. We each had a debit card and could access the funds as easily as each other.

I did not keep tabs on her spending, and she did not on mine.

When I was employed I always earned a lot more than her but our view was that it I was poor, so was she, and if I was rich, she was as well.

After we had children my wife had to leave her work to become a FT mum and we still maintained the same viewpoint, despite her income being ZERO.

It is clear though that for some couples that there is a 'mine and yours' mentality. Both partners would have their salaries go into differing bank accounts which only they could access, then they would both standing order an amount into a 'house' bank account. This amount could be the same as each other, or they could decide how they want to split financial responsibility.

It always seemed a strange setup to me, but I have enough friends and acquaintances who do the 'split' thing that makes me think that perhaps it is my view that is out dated?

Interesting to get a few views on this.

Back
Top Bottom