Marvel Nerds, HELP!

Soldato
Hi folks, I'm enjoying reading some of the marvel comics at the moment and I'm looking at getting the trade paperback collections of some of the bigger arcs to give me plenty of reading but I'm struggling with which volumes exactly to get and the timelines of how things fit in.

Here is what I have established so far;

House of M >>> Decimation >>> Deadly Genesis >>> Endangered Species >>> Messiah Complex >>> Divided We Stand >>> Manifest Destiny >>> X-Infernus >>> Messiah War >>> Utopia >>> Nation X >>> Necrosha >>> Second Coming >>> Curse of Mutants >>> Age of X >>> Schism >>> Regenesis >>> Avengers vs Xmen.

This is about 10 years worth of stuff and tells a largely continous story (from what I can gather)

However there are a few titles that I know are key that I want to get but I cannot fit in. They are Civil War, Siege, Secret Invasion, Dark War and Avengers Disassembled.

So my question to any marvel geeks who know this stuff, or to people with more powerful google skills than me. Where do the above titles fit in to the timeline I have managed to establish and are there any other main titles that I have missed out? Those I have flagged mainly tag Xmen/Avengers but any large scale Spidey/FF/Deadpool or any other stuff that has large scale implications on the timeline I would like to include.

So yeah, I doubt I will find anyone who can manage what I ask but any help is appreciated! :)

Soldato
OP
I started with Civil War (OMG SO GOOD!!) and have just worked my way chronologically through everything.

Spidey arcs tend to stay out of other lines, and X-Men has so much going on across all the titles it can get messy, but here is how I read stuff:

Civil War/Planet Hulk
The Initiative/World War Hulk
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Fall of the Hulks/Siege
World War Hulks
Wolverine Goes to Hell/Chaos War
Fear Itself

These tend to be larger cross-overs compared to the X-series and Spidey, so just try and slot the appropriate X/Spidey arc in based on the timelines.

Civil War and Dark Reign have been my favourites overall as they are huge story arcs.

This is pretty handy.

Cheers bud.

Well based on your link and a lot of digging around this is pretty much a comprehensive list of what you could read to have a pretty much continious ten years worth of story, I've even dropped Amazon prices next to them in case you are interested.

Avengers Dissasembled - 8.27
Pulse v1
Secret War
Pulse v2
New Avengers v1 - 7.58
New Avnegers v2 - 7.58
New Avengers v3 - 7.58
House of M - 12.15
Planet Hulk Prelude - 8.27
Planet Hulk - 9.59
Decimation - 14.64
New Avengers v4 - 16.96
Pulse v3
Deadly Genesis - 9.59
Endangered Species - 9.59
Road to Civil War - 7.58
Civil War - 7.58
Civil War Front Line 1 - 7.58
Civil War Front Line 2 - 7.58
Civil War New Avengers - 7.58
Civil War Iron Man - 6.74
Civil War Cap America - 6.74
New Avengers v6 - 7.58
New Avengers v7 - 9.59
World War Hulk - 9.59
Secret Invasion New Avengers v8 - 7.58
Secret Invasion New Avengers v9 - 9.59
Secret Invasion Deadpool - 7.58
Secret Invasion Xmen - 7.58
Dark Reign - 12.15
New Avengers v10 (Dark Reign) - 8.27
Dark Reign Deadpool 6.89 (a full Deadpool series runs from this which I will collect but I wont put it in here as Deadpool is ******* weird and I know not everyone likes his stuff)
Dark Reign Sinister Spiderman - 8.96
New Avengers v11 - 7.58
New Avengers v12 - 9.59
Messiah Complex - 14.40
XForce v1 - 8.27
Xforce v2 - 7.58
Xforce v3 - 7.59
Messiah War - 16.63
Utopia - 14.36
Nation X - 14.40
Xforce Necrosha - 9.59
Necrosha - 11.75
Xforce Sex and Violence - 7.58
Fall of the Hulks prelude - 16.79
Fall of the Hulks v1 - 9.59
Fall of the Hulks v2 - 12.26
Siege Prelude - 12.15
Siege - 8.96
Siege Thor 8.27
New Avengers v13 Siege - 12.15
Siege Aftermath Thor - 8.27
Second Coming - 16.63
World War Hulks - 24.31
Curse of the Mutants - 8.96
Chaos War - 9.59
Chaos War Incredible Hulks - 9.59
Chaos War Xmen - 10.42
Chaos War Avengers - 9.59
Fear Itself - 10.65
Schism - 10.23

Regenesis
Avengers vs Xmen - These two are a bit weird and broke down into multiple parts with volumes (seemingly missing) hopefully this will be out some day.

A lot of the Chaos War, Civil War, Dark Reign and Secret Incasion stuff happens around the same time so could be pretty confusing but thats about as good as I can get it :)

All comes in at a whiopping £576.68 for the lot!! :p it will probably be comfortably over the £600 mark if you want the Deadpool stuff, or if I have missed anything!

Also interested, slowly getting back into reading Marvel comics :o

See above mate :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thread necro!

Slight change of the list order, had planet hulk in the wrong place, it comes after House of M. Apparently Mighty Avengers needed inserted around Civil War time too as that carries a seperate story thread through to Siege, so much to read (and buy :p)

I've just ordered the first two and getting two more for fathers day :) Let the epic comic journey commence!

Soldato
OP
Edited some new stuff in (in bold) in case others are interested.

Just finished (a few hours after recieving them) both Avengers Dissasembled and New Avengers v1. NAv1 was good, AD was one of the best comics I have ever read, fantastic story line with great pace and a real page turner. It is so perfectly followed up in NAv1 as well.

After reading them so fast ordered NAv2 and 3, House of M and Secret War (saving the Pulse comics until later) and really looking forward to them! So glad I've decided to start reading into this all :)

So yeah, if anyone is tempted the whole arc starts great :p

Soldato
OP
I have just ordered Avengers Disassembled from Amazon. I've been looking for a good place to start reading some Avengers GNs so I thank you for your work on the list!

Glad someone else is finding some use of it. :)

I've added more updates but didn't edit the thread because I thought there was no interest. I'll edit it late this week when I'm home, it includes Mighty/Dark Avengers which are on the same universe but different threads of the continuing theme (teams split due to leadership and government backing). If your only interested in Avengers let me know though and I can specially flag them times excluding others as a lot of my stuff relates to the xmen (though they do effect the Avengers titles with the ongoing story)

Soldato
OP
Wow, that is one mighty reading list you got there. I have to say, I lost interest in the big crossovers a while ago - given that they hardly ever live up to the hype. Of the books you listed, World War Hulk/Planet Hulk/Fall of the Hulks and maybe Civil War, were the best imo.

If you want (imo) excellent Stories in Marvel 616, I would recommend Rick Remender's recent arc Uncanny X-Force, Peter David's entire X-Factor run, Grant Morisson's X-Men/Uncanny X-Men run, and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.

I have heard some of the crossovers fail to deliver.

In my other list I've expanded into the series that run up to and around the crossovers. Got (or will get) Uncanny Xmen, Mighty/New and Dark Avengers, Thunderbolts (excitement!!!) Deadpool (more excitement!!!!!!!!) and X Force (most excitements!!!!!!) to fill everything out and give a whole story.

I'm aiming to pick up 3-4 a month plus a few on birthday/Xmas, aiming for about 3 years to clear it all :p I've had my next order shipped and will arrive tomorrow, annoyingly I'm away until Friday :mad: will be a test of my patience! :)

Soldato
OP
My main interest is in the Avengers but I'm quite new to the whole thing so I might find myself branching off If I find a good story elsewhere.

I'd be very grateful if you could keep your list updated though, it'll definitely be useful!

No worries.

I'll drop an update end of the week. Just need to add Deadpool, Uncanny Xmen and Thunderbolts.

What I'll do is I'll bold out the main arc (and Avengers) so you can follow the main arc and take the rest as optional.

Soldato
OP
I'd appreciate that mate, thanks :)

Well I'm done and it has grown into a 137 book monster list (actually 147 if you count the Deadpool books :p)

I'll post it up over the weekend, too brain dead after puzzling it all out :p

Got my second delivery of NAv2,v3, Secret War and House of M. Polished off NAv2, it's decent, but I get the feeling it is building toward something as opposed to a stand alone. Though finding out the history of Sentry was fascinating!

Soldato
OP
where you getting your comics from? I'm trying to get into it aswell, mostly just reading the arrow ones atm until season 2 of the show releases, and smallville/injustice. Want to read more though.

I tend to just pick them up from Amazon, they are reasonably priced and straightforward as opposed to trawling smaller and less reputable sites.

There are some volumes in there though that are rarer than the norm and very prcey so may try the bay or comic shop webbies (not sure where I would start with them though)

Soldato
OP
Finished House of M, really good book, really good storyline and nice finish. It didn't really tie things up as my has I was expecting regarding the no more mutants but in guessing some more will be covered in Decimation.

NA is ticking over nicely, not living up to disassembled but it seems to be building up a good story. Nice team build as well and Sentry is interesting.

Reading Secret War now, that happens prior to the NA and is really good so far :)

Might order another few :p not sure if I have the money though as I'm going away next month.

Soldato
OP
Ok the updated and hopefully (mostly) final list!

Uncanny Xmen New Age Vol 1 - The End of History
Uncanny Xmen New Age Vol 2 - The Cruellest Cut
Uncanny Xmen New Age Vol 3 - On Ice
Thunderbolts, One Step Forward
Thunderbolts, Modern Marvels
Avengers Disassembled
Pulse v1
Secret War
Pulse v2
New Avengers v1
Thunderbolts, Right of Power
New Avengers v2
New Avengers v3
House of M
House of M - Uncanny Xmen
Planet Hulk Prelude
Planet Hulk
Decimation
(other Decimation/House of M titles probably to get inserted here)
Uncanny Xmen New Age vol 4 - End of Greys
New Avengers v4
Pulse v3
Deadly Genesis
Uncanny Xmen New Age vol 5 - Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
Uncanny Xmen, Extremists
Endangered Species
Road to Civil War
Civil War
Civil War Front Line v1
Civil War Front Line v2
Civil War New Avengers
Civil War Captain America
Civil War Thunderbolts
Civil War Iron Man
Civil War Xmen (not quite sure how this fits with Uncanny continuity, will take corrections on this one if someone knows)
Thunderbolts, The Guardian Protocols
Thunderbolts, Presents Zemo
Thunderbolts, Faith in Monsters
Mighty Avengers v1
New Avengers v6
New Avengers v7
World War Hulk
Thunderbolts, Caged Monsters
Might Avengers v2
Secret Invasion, New Avengers v8
Secret Invasion, New Avengers v9
Secret Invasion, Might Avengers v3
Secret Invasion, Might Avengers v4
Secret Invasion, Thunderbolts
Secret Invasion, Xmen
Secret Invasion, Deadpool
Penance Relentless
Dark Avengers v1
Thunderbolts, Bringing Down the House
Road to War of Kings
Mighty Avengers, Earths Mightiest
Dark Reign
Dark Reign, New Avengers v10
Dark Reign, Might Avengers the Unspoken
Dark Reign, Deadpool
Dark Reign, Deadpool and Thunderbolts
(From this point there is a 12 edition Deadpool arc which falls out of main continuity and only occasionally enters in so I will leave it out. They are, somewhat unsurprisingly, entitled, Deadpool v3-v12)
Dark Reign, Sinister Spiderman
New Avengers v11
New Avengers v12
Messiah Complex
Uncanny Xmen, Divided We Stand
Uncanny Xmen, Manifest Destiny
Uncanny Xmen, Lovelorn
Uncanny Xmen, Sisterhood
X Force v1
X Force v2
X Force v3
Messiah War
Utopia
Dark Avengers v2
Thunderbolts, Widowmaker
Nation X
Necrosha
Necrosha, X Force
X Force, Sex and Violence
Fall of the Hulks Prelude
Fall of the Hulks v1
Fall of the Hulks v2
Siege Prelude
Siege
Siege, The Iniative
Siege, Thunderbolts
Siege, Thor
Siege, New Avengers v13
Siege, Dark Avengers
Siege, Mighty Avengers
Siege Aftermath, Thor
Thunderbolts, Cage
War of Kings
War of Kings, Warriors
Second Coming
Uncanny Xmen, Birth of Generation Hope
Uncanny Xmen, Quarantine
Uncanny Xmen, Breaking Point
World War Hulks
Curse of the Mutants
Daredevil, Lady Bullseye
Daredevil, Return of the King
Daredevil, The Devils Hand
Shadowland
Shadowland, Daredevil
(Shadowland and SL Daredevil are supposed to read concurrently or make zero sense)
Shadowland, Thunderbolts
Chaos War
Chaos War, Incredible Hulk
Chaos War, Xmen
Chaos War, Avengers
Avengers v1
New Avengers (2) v1
Secret Avengers, Mission to Mars
Thunderbolts, Violent Rejection
Fear Itself
Fear Itself, Secret Avengers
Fear Itself, Thunderbolts
(There may be some more Fear Itself tie ins to go in here)
Schism
Thunderbolts, The Great Escape
Thunderbolts, Like Lightning
Dark Avengers, The End is Beginning
Uncanny Xmen v1
Wolverine and the Xmen v1
Secret Avengers, Run the Mission...
Avengers v3
New Avengers (2) v3
Uncanny Xmen v2
Wolverine and the Xmen v2
Uncanny Xmen v3
Wolverine and the Xmen v3
Xmen v Avengers
AvX
AvX Consequences
(large tie in so may be some more Avengers v Xmen tie ins, sounds cheesy but it is a good arc continuining on from the Messiah stuff)
Avengers v4
New Avengers (2) v4
Uncanny Xmen v4
Wolverine and the Xmen v4
Avengers v5
New Avengers (2) v5
Dark Avengers, Masters of Evil

There is probably more but thats the core arc and almost all them titles tie into the main arc to greater or lesser extents, but essentially it is all one big story arc!

I will highlight the Avengers stuff though it is pretty self explanatory, may be easier if you have any questions and I can just clarify. If anyone is focusing on the Avengers stuff the Thunderbolts are pretty important as Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers are flip sides of the coin at varying times in the series.

If anyone has any fixes or additions please tell me and I will happily update, that will be for my benefit too :)

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival Batman (probably the wrong character for a Marvel thread but there you go)

Need a bit of help. Still working my way through this after a short break but having trouble finding a few volumes, the TPB's are available from Amazon but at daft £50+ price. Does anyone know a decent place on the net (that delivers UK) where I can pick up TPB's?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival captain America!

Still going with this, chopped the list a lot (primarily cut xmen only stuff) and still working my way. Just finishing Civil War at the mo (amazing arc!) and now have mighty/new and t-bolts to read leading up to secret invasion. What has surprised me is how much I have enjoyed the t-bolt stuff, not as grey as I hoped but still nice to get away from the stereotypical heroes. Plus seeing t-bolts destroy the avengers was fun :D

Eventually uncovered the new Thor kick off post civil war with his reserection, Iron Man and Hank Pym in bother :D

Soldato
OP
Well I don't think anyone else much cares but just in case.

I read Front Lines which is an additional story for Civil War I just thought it would be filler but holy ****! It turns a good story into an amazing one, completely turns the story on its head and gives the real reason for the civil war which is brilliant as opposed to what it looked like I.e. We disagree with one another.

Read it if you like your marvel!

Back
Top Bottom