Marvell 91xx Controller, 6GB/s & Trimm Support

Soldato
I believe there was an issue with this combination - basically the Marvell controller didn't support TRIMM with the current driver.
1.0.0.1034 I believe was the driver at the time.

I've been out of the loop for a while.
However this link:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm

Appears to indicate newer drivers - 1.0.0.1045

Does anyone know if this driver now correctly supports TRIMM?

Ta

Associate
Despite the technical detail of the question, few of us did not understand it, a shame no one has yet answered the question but sought to be bit "anal" :rolleyes:

These forum are usually so better, lets hope its a blip! :)

Soldato
OP
OK - well thanks all for the lessons.
It proved really helpful in finding out if the Marvell controller now supports TRIM :-/

OK, lets try another question then.

If I update the drivers on the Marvell controller, is there anything I can run to see if TRIM commands are being passed onto the drive?

Associate
I don't think is does I have used this drive for about 2 weeks now and I am not sure its working, so I have switched back to the MS drivers so TRIM can work then I will switch back to the Marvell ones as they give me better performance but no TRIM.

Associate
I upgraded to an Asus U3S6 last night with my C300 64gb. I went with the MS drivers as many people advise for TRIM support. I have noticed since my 4k read performance is a tad low. I did read a post with someone comparing Marvel versus MS drivers and some read times were improved.

If I go with the Marvell drivers I need to run Garbage collection right?

Soldato
OP
Just a side note, in head to head testing with multiple drives, the Intel ICH10-R controller is faster than the Marvell in spite of the specifications.

I didn't find that at all.
I ran various benchmarks on both the Intel and Marvell controller - I posted the results back here.
The Marvell controller showed improved performance in all tests.
Not night and day - but definitely an improvement.

Associate
I've gone with the Marvell driver 1036 on the Asus u3s6. I have found it performs a lot better for me. If I run the Asus u3s6 with the msahci driver I get freezes in Windows 7, which are rather annoying.

No freezes with the Marvell driver and 4k read performance is a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom