Mastodons New album!

Associate
Has anyone else picked up Blood mountain by Mastodon, and if so what are your thoughts?

I'm not the biggest fan of pure metal or anything harder but I after hearing some people rave on about leviathan I decided to buy it awhile back and after a few listens was astounded and in the last few months I've gradually opened up to listen to much heavier music than I used to.

Anyway, I got Blood Mountain yesterday and I've had it on constant loop since. In my opinion its very different to leviathan as in its not straight down the line metal. Blood Mountain seems to verge on a lot more genres, there are some extremely mellow bits followed by just an outburst of pure riffage and howling!! Its all very unpredicatable, which i think is great. The album also boosts some impressive guest appearances and for you music puritans has got some great reviews to boot(even pitchfork)

Well, if anyone is interested in bands like Tool, The Mars volta, Isis etc but have never really explored the metal format (although the bands I listed could I suppose be described by some as "metal") I fully urge you to go and get a copy!

Soldato
Aye, superb album, I think they should have opened with a differant song imo, but there ya go.

Crystal Skull, Bladecatcher (wtf is with the crazy noises on this one lol? ) and Sleeping Giant are my favs, brilliant catchy riffs, I salute the guys again for creating another enjoyable listening experiance :D

Soldato
First of all, glad to see OCUK broadening it's musical horizons! :D

I've only really started enjoying the neat, clean cut aspect of Blood Mountain compared to the raw, more aggressive sounding previous albums. Remission still tops BM, but it's growing on me the more times i listen to it, as do most of the albums bands release that are transitional stages.

The tracks are epic and the formula is pleasing, i'm just finding it hard to fully appreciate it when i wish they'd just add one or two catchy riffs or possibly a break down from the tempest of musical wizardry that ensues in every track.

Back
Top Bottom