Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
I probably won't, was looking for more longevity to the springs as don't like much softening over time but it's probably inevitable at 5+ years no matter what pocket sprung mattress I buy.

The reason to move would be the feedback on here but then I've read overwhelmingly positive feedback of some IKEA mattresses that I didn't like at all.

Soldato
Just ordered a Simba Hybrid, probably should have done some more research as i'm a hot sleeper and memory foam is supposed to be bad for that?

Strictly a side sleeper which is why i went with the Simba as from reviews is supposed to be good for that.

Would love the JR ones but a bit too expensive for my budget, Simba was 300 on eBay using discount code for one of their reburbs

Anyhow will see. if i dont like it can return.

Do JR do anything decent in King size sub 500?

Soldato
Just ordered a Simba Hybrid, probably should have done some more research as i'm a hot sleeper and memory foam is supposed to be bad for that?

Strictly a side sleeper which is why i went with the Simba as from reviews is supposed to be good for that.

Would love the JR ones but a bit too expensive for my budget, Simba was 300 on eBay using discount code for one of their reburbs

Anyhow will see. if i dont like it can return.

Do JR do anything decent in King size sub 500?

I often check the clearances section, there is a King size Origins Pocket for £580 but it's the 2000 spring version, so very firm. https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/origins-pocket-1500-mattress-outlet/#section_2

Soldato
I'm after a Super King Mattress. I am a side sleeper, my partner is either a side or strangely a face down sleeper. We like soft but not too soft. What's the recommendation these days? Have a budget of around ~£3k but not wanting to pay for the sake of it.

Soldato

Always been a bit sceptical of the Simba hype train, just in my nature :)

A few months ago an advert popped up online to get a brand new king for sub £600 with a 200 night trial and free returns if not happy at any point within that 200 period.

Absolutely will not be returning it, haven't had sleep so good for my adult life. I'm mostly a side sleeper and i've had a few nights waking in the exact position I feel asleep in, don't remember that ever happening before :)

It's a weird blend of soft and firm, top level you just sink into with decent rigidity below.

Associate
We have had a Simba Hybrid Pro since the end of May roughly but this morning we decided to return it. Sometimes I think it’s really comfy, but for the most part, it’s too firm. Wife and I both wake up pretty sore, something I thought would go away.

On the back of the return request I’ve taken note of most of the advice I’ve read here and ordered a John Ryan Artisan Naturals.

We dealt with a terrible mattress for years so hoping this will be worth it.

Soldato
On the back of the return request I’ve taken note of most of the advice I’ve read here and ordered a John Ryan Artisan Naturals.

They are amazeballs, and such a great company to deal with.

Only thing I don't look forward to is turning and rotating our main bed mattress, as it is a Super King, and weights as much as an elephant, start working out if you don't already! :D

Associate
We have had a Simba Hybrid Pro since the end of May roughly but this morning we decided to return it. Sometimes I think it’s really comfy, but for the most part, it’s too firm. Wife and I both wake up pretty sore, something I thought would go away.

We dealt with a terrible mattress for years so hoping this will be worth it.

Be sure to post back your views, I tried the simba too and didn’t like it either, found it too firm, did you try any of the other box mattress companies?

Associate
Be sure to post back your views, I tried the simba too and didn’t like it either, found it too firm, did you try any of the other box mattress companies?
Will do! No we only tried the Simba based on the reviews etc. Thought paying a bit more for the pro would guarantee us something we loved, even if it isn’t exactly expensive for a mattress.

@Journey they phoned me this morning to discuss the order, ensure I was ordering the right thing etc. Nice touch!! Expected in 28 days.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Shame I never spotted this thread a year ago as I spent close to £2500 a year ago with them, do not get me wrong the bed frame is superb quality and the mattress is comfy, it is this one:
https://www.dreams.co.uk/therapur-actigel-plus-response-3200-mattress/p/131-00677-configurable

A Therapur Actigel Plus 3200

Were moving into our new house in December and I have made the decision this bed will go in our guest room and I've decided for us we shall upgrade to a Super King and my plan was to visit Dreams again and do some testing.

The Therapur is a year old now and shows no signs of sagging or any other defects and my Mrs absolutely loves it, she says she never slept so good but saying that she can more or less sleep sitting up, whereas myself I take ages to drift off and conditions have to be pretty spot on.

When we went Dreams last year in the store it was between this Therapur and a Tempur but neither of us could really decide on one or the other and as such we spoke with the wallet as the Tempur was about £2200 for the mattress so more than double the price.

So I want to move to Super King but for me personally I want a mattress I sink into more, I've never had sores or pain with the Therapur but I feel it is a little firm for me, it is however very cool and comfortable, I just want a mattress I sink more into and was wondering if OcUK has any recommendations and as I consider sleep very important and as we spend so much time sleeping I am happy to say budget upto around £3500 for mattress but if there is something that will meet my needs and will last 8 years plus for half the price then I'd rather take the lower cost option as I do not believe in overpaying for something that will not benefit me.

Soldato
A Therapur Actigel Plus 3200

So you bought an overpriced Thermaltake HSF when what you should have bought is a Noctua. :D

Go and spend some time reading the John Ryan website, and look at the research they offer, how mattresses are made, and what materials are used and in what quantities. If you look at some of the examples where they cut open premium mattresses, they will shock you just how much a place like Dreams will take you for a ride. It's like you recommending people shop at the purple shirt company, and buy a Packard Bell as a top notch gaming PC.

OcUK Staff
So you bought an overpriced Thermaltake HSF when what you should have bought is a Noctua. :D

Go and spend some time reading the John Ryan website, and look at the research they offer, how mattresses are made, and what materials are used and in what quantities. If you look at some of the examples where they cut open premium mattresses, they will shock you just how much a place like Dreams will take you for a ride. It's like you recommending people shop at the purple shirt company, and buy a Packard Bell as a top notch gaming PC.

Had a look just and really liking the look of the Sublime mattress on their site, 15yr warranty too which I guess is a big quality statement.
Does John Ryan have retail store where you can try the mattresses out?

Soldato
Does John Ryan have retail store where you can try the mattresses out?

No, but they have an outstanding customer knowledge team, and offer no quibble returns for 60 days or more in some cases. Pick up the phone and speak to them, look at the number of people in this thread alone who have them, and are very happy.

Back
Top Bottom