Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
as per the title we bought a new matress last year, but already there are compressed hollows where we sleep. We do rotate the matress often but is this usual or not?

The matress is pocket sprung with a layer of latex, its still comfy but a little annoying

Depends on how much you paid. There is no doubt that a seriously expensive mattress lasts longer.

Soldato
I swear matresses are the biggest con since Brexit....really cheap ones are rubbish, granted, but...

It's just a bunch of springs and foam... it's not rocket science.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sit quite a bit on my bed, reading, using the laptop sometimes or just watching the TV or a film. I've noticed that over the years it has started to sag. Is this just inevitable due to being used for purposes other than just sleeping. Is there a particular type of mattress that stands up better to this than others, something I can avoid in the future? More pocket springs for example? I have a Sensafoam mattress from Bensons for Beds but reading this could explain why it has sagged - https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/a-guide-to-sensaform-mattresses/

Soldato
My John Lewis has sagged they sent someone out and it measured 30mm dip (2.5 years old) and it’s allegedly allowed 40mm. They just ended the conversation at that bear in mind just how much a 40mm dip is. I’d never use them again.

Soldato
I've had a Herdysleep for the last 7 years. Decided to get rid of it as it loses all its shape after an hour of sleeping and I wake up with terrible pressure point pain on my hips as I'm a side sleeper.
I bought a Tempur to replace it. Pricey but I'm hoping I'll be waking up without pain. Plus it has a 100 day trial so if it doesn't work out I'll go with a Sealy posturpedic.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm back having another browse at what's available in soft as my JR mattress ~2yrs old at most gave me a bad night again. I had an incredibly stiff chest and upper back which was painful, but eased away after some manual labour at work past few days and on the bike today. I stretch every day too.

The whole mattress black hole of sales pitches is crap. It would be nice if all the shops stated what the mattress felt like for varying weights. JR at least do, but with my weight their softest one (the one i've got) still is rated at a medium.

Edit.
Searching this thread again, i've been reminded of toppers. Going to have a look into them as a cheap fix would be ideal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought an Emma mattress as the one in this rental was horrific and i figure since it's a King Sized bed i'd just stump up the cash now and then take it with us to the new house once it's built. It's the Luxe Cooling premium model

Bit dissappointed really. It turned up with various stains on the top, and then from only 1 night it already felt a really hot mattress. I know i tend to be a hot bodied (oo er!) person, but never felt like that on the crappy memory foam version. Not sure it'll be staying but i'll likely keep it for the length of this rental until we move to the next rental!

A shame as i was fairly optimistic

Last edited:
Soldato
It arrived with stains as though second hand ? eeuugh :eek:

It's weird, i'm putting it down more as manufacturing defects as it certainly seemed new otherwise (vacuum sealed bag etc)

Example below, there's probably around 5 of these kind of marks. Only really minor and probably hard to see in the picture below, but certainly not what you'd expect.

ZLkZDqS.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It's weird, i'm putting it down more as manufacturing defects as it certainly seemed new otherwise (vacuum sealed bag etc)

Example below, there's probably around 5 of these kind of marks. Only really minor and probably hard to see in the picture below, but certainly not what you'd expect.

ZLkZDqS.png

Was it delivered by some ***** sounding fella's in a 57 plate transit :D

Soldato
When you see mattress adverts offering a free trial period but can presumably return it if you don't like it then you have to wonder.... do they repack it and send it to someone else?

Soldato
Was it delivered by some ***** sounding fella's in a 57 plate transit :D
When you see mattress adverts offering a free trial period but can presumably return it if you don't like it then you have to wonder.... do they repack it and send it to someone else?

Haha it definitely came vacuum sealed in a proper Emma box!

@Usher They usually sell the reconditioned through ebay/groupon. Certainly not something i'd ever consider!

Back
Top Bottom