Mattresses - I need knowledge

Permabanned
Mattress ordered, went with the John Ryan Origins Pocket Latex 1500... Recommendations for pillows? Looking to pay around £100 for a pair (give or take).

Soldato
Any feedback on your new mattress? Have been considering the John Ryan option, but worried whether it'll be firm enough for my liking.

Same one we got. It is very firm but we're both at the lower end of the weight scales so that's to be expected. My wife loved it straight off the bat, whereas it took me some getting used to. I think it was two or three weeks before it felt comfortable. Love it now, but it's easily the firmest bed I've ever slept in so YMMV.

Associate
I've just ordered a Origins Pocket 1500 – Kingsize with base and headboard from JR. Hoping they are as good as people say!

Associate
Just spent an hour reading about mattresses... Now need to convince the wife to let me get a new one.

The John Ryan Origins Pocket Latex 1500 sounds like heaven and would be perfect! I need a firm mattress.

Soldato
Because laying on a mattress in a shop for 60 seconds tells you nothing about how it is to actually sleep on for 8 hours and JR offer a 30 day no questions asked refund guarantee.

They do but this is our experience with JR

we ordered a mattress and on their recommendation boarded our sprung slatted base.
When the mattress arrived we gave it about a week and after many mornings us both waking up with backache decided to send it back and get another one.
They were very clear that the 30 day money back option could only be used once, if we ordered a 2nd mattress then we would not be able to exchange/return it.

I ummed and arred over what to do and based on the rave reviews on here about how good they were, we went for a 2nd mattress from JR which apparently should have been softer. The 2nd mattress was over £800 and is still giving my partner problems, we have tried removing the board from her side of the bed and it hasn't really helped.

JR also refused to collect the original mattress because they wanted to save money by collecting/delivering at the same time, despite me complaining that we had literally nowhere to put the mattress that was being taken away in the mean time.

So we are now stuck with the latest mattress. FWIW, sleeping on our sofa does not cause either of us to have a sore back in the morning.
We have had the latest mattress about 2 weeks now so hopefully once we have "bedded" it in a bit more things will improve.

Soldato
How strange, i absolutely love my mattress and will be buying another. Id try putting it on the floor and testing it out there. Hope you manage to get the problem sorted

Associate
Following advice on here, just before Christmas I took on an Origins Pocket 1500 in super king. The chaps who delivered it were lovely and the mattress is great.. goes on an IKEA bed frame with boarded sprung slats (3mm MDF) and it's firm but lovely. Well worth the ££ for me and my girlfriend!

Soldato
I ordered a King Size John Ryan Artisan Naturals just before Christmas and have had it for about a month now having boarded the slats on the existing frame.
It is super comfy, real quality and can definitely recommend them.

Soldato
Just got the Ergoflex as an "upgrade" to the current one we had.

Don't. Really uncomfortable - Both Mrs and I (she's 6 stones, I'm 16~17) - Find that after 2~3 hours of lying on left hand side the shoulder hurts. Then go to right hand side... Then have to lie on back on front as shoulders hurt too much!

Ergoflex used to be good, their current range are crap :(

Going back to the 5~6 year old previous one... Whoch was perfect for 5 years - just can't remember the make right now. Was £100 cheaper than Ergoflex too!

Soldato
This information may or may not help people.
We had issues with a couple of John Ryan matresses so ended up sending them back.
We went to Dreamz but theirs were silly expensive and didn't feel particularly comfortable.

We went into Bensons for beds and they have a bed you can lie on that will measure pressure, it recommended a medium for both myself and my partner.
so we ordered it and 6 months later still both having back problems.

we decided to look at the pillows we were using and both added extra depth in the form of an extra pillow.
we have both woken up with much less back ache since doing this.
so we are now going to go and buy some decent pillows now.

Back
Top Bottom