Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate

Big fan of Hypnos sprung mattresses.

Anything with a pillow top or memory foam is best avoided IMO.

I bought a Hypnos Stratton in Firm a few months back - found it for £1000. Have been extremely happy with it - it's remarkable how much better it is than the awful Emma it's replaced

Soldato
Managed to get Mattress Online to agree to take our SIMBA back.

Going to choose something else in its place but i'm just trying to weave my way through the smoke and mirrors of mattress buying again.

Definitely going to opt for a pocket sprung mattress and most likely a double sided mattress. Thinking being you would generally get more life out of a double sided mattress vs a single sided.

I've seen this which claims to be 4000 springs and is pretty affordable too with tonnes of good reviews - https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Pr...ury-4000-Pocket-Mattress-P1849#size=Superking
May give it a go, can always use the 60 night sleep trial if it isn't for us.

This one also looks good, but is only 1500 springs. I know I shouldnt obsess over spring count necessarily but its interesting just how varied they are between each mattress - https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Pr...tho-1500-Pocket-Mattress-P1915#size=Superking

I also don't understand how the sprint counts work when you go from a double upto a super king, surely the spring density of 1500 springs in a double is going to be far better than 1500 springs in a super king?

Last edited:
Soldato

Going to choose something else in its place but i'm just trying to weave my way through the smoke and mirrors of mattress buying again.

Definitely going to opt for a pocket sprung mattress and most likely a double sided mattress. Thinking being you would generally get more life out of a double sided mattress vs a single sided.

I've seen this which claims to be 4000 springs and is pretty affordable too with tonnes of good reviews - https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Pr...ury-4000-Pocket-Mattress-P1849#size=Superking

I much prefer pocket sprung over memory foam or whatever, but do be aware of 'marketing' scams of super high spring counts... 4000 sounds like a hell of a lot, mine is 1400, for example... I remember reading that with such high spring counts they can be crafty in that if it's a multi -layered matress, it might only have, say 1000 'proper/full size' springs, and then a shed load of smaller weaker springs on a seperate top layer to make the numbers up, so it sounds more impressive on paper.

That's not to say it's a bad thing, but something to be aware of, in that 'higher advertised spring count' does not automatically = better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh thats what I was thinking. It's hard to get hard and fast information though when Google'ing them which is realy annoying.

I'd almost be tempted by the Ortho version https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Pr...tho-2000-Pocket-Mattress-P1823#size=Superking
Or

It looks like those Millbrooks use 1000 pocket spring and 1000 smaller mini springs in the 2000 count mattress and 1000 + 2 x 1500 mini springs in the 4000 count. They may still be an overall good mattress but not sure if i'd be better off going for a "truer" 1400 pocket spring one like above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another thing with pocket sprung matresses, you can't fold them, or you'll really damage them... it was a job to get mine up the stairs, as it weighed a ton, and was a 2 man job, one pushing and another pulling so as not to bend it too much.

That was just a double matress..with a king-size it would have been really probematic!

Last edited:
Soldato
I much prefer pocket sprung over memory foam or whatever, but do be aware of 'marketing' scams of super high spring counts... 4000 sounds like a hell of a lot, mine is 1400, for example... I remember reading that with such high spring counts they can be crafty in that if it's a multi -layered matress, it might only have, say 1000 'proper/full size' springs, and then a shed load of smaller weaker springs on a seperate top layer to make the numbers up, so it sounds more impressive on paper.

That's not to say it's a bad thing, but something to be aware of, in that 'higher advertised spring count' does not automatically = better.
This is spot on, I can’t remember the exact reason I’d have to listen to the episode again but from what I recall hybrid mattresses are a good shout if you want the best of both worlds. Theres also the bigger factor in how good the springs actually are.

We all spend a huge proportion of our lives in bed, so worth spending a bit more time researching and testing them out. I went through a phase a couple of years back where I tested loads for 20 odd days then sent them back, ended up loving and still have a £150ish Silentnight memory foam mattress. Granted there was a few that I didn’t get around to testing out but it just hit the spot. I can only rotate it though can’t flip it. I’d get another one but i’m not sure it’s going to be the same.

link to pod if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another thing with pocket sprung matresses, you can't fold them, or you'll really damage them... it was a job to get mine up the stairs, as it weighed a ton, and was a 2 man job, one pushing and another pulling so as not to bend it too much.

That was just a double matress..with a king-size it would have been really probematic!
Fair shout, we have a super king which could be quite a squeeze going up the stairs and manoeuvring round the landing/bannister.

EDIT - i've just measured it actually and a super king wont easily go up the stairs without some level of squeezing, bending and forcing. I might have to see if they have any mattresses that come vac packed or similar. I've seen pocket sprung mattresses come rolled before so its definitely doable but this presents a pretty stumbling block for sure

Last edited:
Soldato
This is spot on, I can’t remember the exact reason I’d have to listen to the episode again but from what I recall hybrid mattresses are a good shout if you want the best of both worlds. Theres also the bigger factor in how good the springs actually are.

We all spend a huge proportion of our lives in bed, so worth spending a bit more time researching and testing them out. I went through a phase a couple of years back where I tested loads for 20 odd days then sent them back, ended up loving and still have a £150ish Silentnight memory foam mattress. Granted there was a few that I didn’t get around to testing out but it just hit the spot. I can only rotate it though can’t flip it. I’d get another one but i’m not sure it’s going to be the same.

link to pod if anyone is interested.
Will check that pod out tomorrow.

Associate
Does anyone suffer with what feels like saturating the mattress with their own heat over the night? I'm a hot sleeper (windows open year round for fresh air) and in the warmer months can start with a perfectly cool mattress, then wake up at 2am roasting hot. Is this something that goes away with a more expensive one? We have an ikea one that was around £400 seemingly like what one of the posters on the first page had.

Soldato
Does anyone suffer with what feels like saturating the mattress with their own heat over the night? I'm a hot sleeper (windows open year round for fresh air) and in the warmer months can start with a perfectly cool mattress, then wake up at 2am roasting hot. Is this something that goes away with a more expensive one? We have an ikea one that was around £400 seemingly like what one of the posters on the first page had.

I've found memory foam does that as it's really dense...

..but also, don't under-estimate the benefits of a good duvet cover, and good quality bed sheets.

For example, I spent a lot of money on Egyptian cotton bed clothes... they are sooo much better than buying cheap bed-sets, and they don't wear out over time, they actually get nicer and softer.

EDIT: but also look at your duvet, its self... a cheap stuffing won't breathe very well.

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly should just rename the thread - choose John Ryan. Fantastic service and product, we've had 3 mattresses from them all have been superb.
bought our super king from them about 8-10 us ago. Zip together mattresses as I wanted firm and my wife soft.

They were great to deal with, IIRC they spent a while making sure I wanted a firm mattress.

Zipped made get it upstairs much easier as well

Associate

This one also looks good, but is only 1500 springs. I know I shouldnt obsess over spring count necessarily but its interesting just how varied they are between each mattress - https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Pr...tho-1500-Pocket-Mattress-P1915#size=Superking

I also don't understand how the sprint counts work when you go from a double upto a super king, surely the spring density of 1500 springs in a double is going to be far better than 1500 springs in a super king?
Take a look at the John Ryan website for guidance, even if not purchasing from them, there's a huge amount of knowledge on there which cuts through the normal marketing blurb. For example, the right spring tension vs the comfort layers - Tension is be based on your body weight and the top layers are decided based on your firmness preference. Most people think the spring tension determines the comfort preference.

Soldato

Sounds like you need A/C in the bedroom.

Caporegime

What kind of mattress? Memory foam mattresses are known to heat up more than others, this can be mitigated by using a mattress cover that is designed to carry heat away from you, or by using a mattress which has a memory foam topper over a sprung base. But they're always going to be worse than other forms of mattress for heating up.

Associate
@Chris344 did you get the Artisan Bespoke in the end? We've had ours 4 months now and still super happy with it. I don't get any hip/lower back pain with it compared to our old Dreams one.
I did and absolutely love it. We have it in the super king size, not cheap but it’s worth it for us. It’s a masterpiece, it’s something like 80KG! No aches or pains. It’s very supportive and comfortable.

Associate

Yes, and i have a John Ryan cheaper model. A slight counter to this is start in a warm room so you fall asleep in a warm position and not in a cold one where you wrap up more in the quilt to compensate. Hopefully that makes sense!
Also checking the over night temp before going to bed so you can adjust the window/s and air flow to accommodate that temp, eg open the door and opposing windows open for air flow on a warmer night.

I reckon trying all the cheap designs first to find what works best, then investing in a good one when you work it out. I didn't do this and i'm stuck with a £600 mattress which is only okay. The hardest of it is really my only legit gripe, but i weigh fa and am tall. I'm gonna try some other duvets as my 4.5 tog down duvet is over kill for anything above 5 degrees even!

Back
Top Bottom