Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
Well the woolroom topper has arrived, doesn't seem as thick as I thought it would be.
Oh well, see how it goes!
How are you getting on with the wool topper? Had ours on for about 25 days I think but I'm still not sure about it. I'm still getting shoulder pain but it does add a bit of comfort to the mattress. Not sure whether to keep it or just bite the bullet, send it back and get a new mattress but that means going through the whole PITA of mattress shopping.

Associate
I am in need of a new mattress since my current one is awful.

Debating between:

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-naturals/?size=double ( Double is £1700 )

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/product/artisan-sublime/?size=double ( Double is £4000! )

I have never spent more than £300 on a mattress which always felt expensive, but in this case I feel like it is worth it.

Any thoughts?

I bought the Artisan Naturals, had it about a week now. Its a lovely mattress but I think its too firm which is odd, since I am not particurly light...

Thinking of returning it and exchanging for this one:

I think it may be partially due to me using a solid slat bed rather than curved.

Soldato
How are you getting on with the wool topper? Had ours on for about 25 days I think but I'm still not sure about it. I'm still getting shoulder pain but it does add a bit of comfort to the mattress. Not sure whether to keep it or just bite the bullet, send it back and get a new mattress but that means going through the whole PITA of mattress shopping.
Missus likes it, I'm not convinced, I said lets send it back...

Though I find I can sleep on my front better with it, so I guess its helping. I think I just cant sleep on my back.
I don't think it will last long though, can already see it squashing down, even with rotating. I don't se its worth the money you pay for it.

I think in a year or so, I will try a foam topper. I don't want to spend £4k on a mattress and have the same issue!

Associate
I ordered an Emma dual sided topper thing last night to hopefully fix my Johnryan, and my upper back.

Just reporting my experience with the Emma flipper topper. Been alright, fixed my back, but still not sure i can sleep on my left side properly though as chest has felt a little tight after rolling over mid way through the night. Surprisingly not hot either, but nights have been cooler.

I'm still contemplating a cheapo mattress with this, or an Emma/foam mattress.

Associate
I bought the Artisan Naturals, had it about a week now. Its a lovely mattress but I think its too firm which is odd, since I am not particurly light...

Thinking of returning it and exchanging for this one:

I think it may be partially due to me using a solid slat bed rather than curved.
We had the luxury and swapped for the bespoke in superking. The luxury is very soft, in fact, it caused us to sink in too deep which resulted in us both experiencing hip pain. They recommend a month for your body to adjust. Also, they'll recommend a wool topper to soften it, which would then be the equivalent of the luxury.

https://www.devonduvets.com/wool-mattress-topper-king they have 20% off atm.

Soldato
Anyone any recommendations for something a bit more cost-friendly as a topper?
Recently got a new super king pocket sprung jobby which is fine but as its a zip and link bed the Mrs wants a topper to make the middle indentation where it links a little less noticeable.

Soldato
Missus likes it, I'm not convinced, I said lets send it back...

Though I find I can sleep on my front better with it, so I guess its helping. I think I just cant sleep on my back.
I don't think it will last long though, can already see it squashing down, even with rotating. I don't se its worth the money you pay for it.

I think in a year or so, I will try a foam topper. I don't want to spend £4k on a mattress and have the same issue!
I removed the topper for a couple of days and we both could tell the difference, didn't sleep very well and could really feel the mattress. Topper back on now and sleeping better already so it's staying. I've no doubt we will be entering the minefield of mattress hunting again before the year is out though.

Associate
Anyone any recommendations for something a bit more cost-friendly as a topper?
Recently got a new super king pocket sprung jobby which is fine but as its a zip and link bed the Mrs wants a topper to make the middle indentation where it links a little less noticeable.

For mere aesthetics one of those cheapo cotton ones would suffice? Otherwise it'll change the feeling of the bed too much, temperature included. You'd potentially be paying for a negative effect. But in saying that, get a trial one and return if no good.

Soldato
For mere aesthetics one of those cheapo cotton ones would suffice? Otherwise it'll change the feeling of the bed too much, temperature included. You'd potentially be paying for a negative effect. But in saying that, get a trial one and return if no good.
I meant a little less noticeable in terms of feel, not sight.
Already have a mattress protector on it but want something to add a bit of an even layer over the whole mattress.

Associate
I meant a little less noticeable in terms of feel, not sight.
Already have a mattress protector on it but want something to add a bit of an even layer over the whole mattress.

You're asking to bridge a gap which will require stiffness of a material, but not wanting to effect the rest of the mattress? I don't think that's possible, at least at a low cost.

Using some material as a filler and stitch into one side of the one mattress, so access to zipping still, would be better option. Not ideal, but cheap and would do exactly what you want.

I've never used a zip mattress, but this sounds like an obvious design floor if it's that noticable.

Associate
We had the luxury and swapped for the bespoke in superking. The luxury is very soft, in fact, it caused us to sink in too deep which resulted in us both experiencing hip pain. They recommend a month for your body to adjust. Also, they'll recommend a wool topper to soften it, which would then be the equivalent of the luxury.

https://www.devonduvets.com/wool-mattress-topper-king they have 20% off atm.

Went for the topper and was overwhelmed with sheep smell... it didn't make a huge difference either. I think we need softer springs.

Back
Top Bottom