mATX Budget build/upgrade (redeux) second opinion welcome

Associate
*adjustments made*

Some time back I had a list from here ready to go, however unfortunately got sidetracked so here we are

Mostly home use and some 1080p gaming. No intention to overclock but would like at least some cooling as the room gets warm some months
No cutting edge/ultra shenanigans majority of my library is older stuff. You are talking the likes of PS2, EVE, XC2, Frostpunk, Project Zomboid etc
Occasional punts on newer stuff (HD2) but I'm happy to adjust settings for performance where need be

Peripherals, OS, some of the existing storage and the GPU will carry over as I can address those later.

Budgeting somewhere around the £850 mark and this will be through ocuk : MATX case + board, CPU, Memory, PSU, some additional cooling. No RGB stuff

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £817.84 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

There is wiggle room there to change things around a little.
Some comments (or ammendments)

I actually really like the coolermaster Q300L case but worried about trying to squeeze a tall cooler into it looks cool but I like the mesh boxes more
Could stretch to 64gb memory instead of 32gb if there is good enough reason (surely 32 would be more than enough) 32 is more than enough
Not going to lie, bit gutted at lack of superflower PSUs.. what happenned there? And what else is reliable? (put a corsair as placeholder) seasonic/corsair gold should be fine (or bq13 if can budget)
I did add an M2 drive because honestly I was quite taken back by whats around now, but its not a priority just to mention, this isn't for storage, just a replacement for my OS/common app drive

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:
A bit of switcheroo for the same £750, it gets you DDR5...
Good shout on the mobo, I did overlook the ITX. Locked cpu makes sense too.
Not keen on going AIO though, would need an awful lot of convincing to go there, air cooler while a bit bulkier should be fine.

Could get this as an alternative, i prefer Seasonic but either is fine​

Seasonic Focus GX-850 850W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply​

SS were the alternative I had in mind. I've heard BQ 13 psus are decent as well but a bit steep. Long as there isn't whine coming off it
I'll probably still ask whats going on with SF when the time comes - worst they can say is computer says no

Last edited:
Good shout on the mobo, I did overlook the ITX. Locked cpu makes sense too.
Not keen on going AIO though, would need an awful lot of convincing to go there, air cooler while a bit bulkier should be fine.
The complication I was thinking of by choosing an AIO is that if you get a large air cooler like the peerless assassin, ITX motherboards are pushing the components closer together and I don't know if you might snag on the VRM heatsinks or the case side panel. They can also have components on the rear side of the motherboard that in rare cases can snag on custom backplates.

The phanteks eclipse p200 can fit a large cooler for an itx so you could save some money and buy a thermalright frost commander for under £40.

EDIT

As tetras said fitting a larege cooler might bring unforseen complications. The peerless assassin in smaller than the Frost commander but still a very good cooler despits its smaller size for about £35.

Last edited:
AM5 alternative with a 2tb drive for more storage..not as fast but still good enough...could got for something like the lexar NM790 for £140 if you want fast with a read write of 7400/6500mb/s..has a 1500TBW endurance also..at least you'll have a cpu upgrade with am5

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £740.89 (includes delivery: £0.00)​
freezer 36 cooler is very good if wanting to stick with OCuk..and more than enough for a 7600...can get non rgb version but on preorder, but £24..it's also quiet in running​

The complication I was thinking of by choosing an AIO is that if you get a large air cooler like the peerless assassin, ITX motherboards are pushing the components closer together and I don't know if you might snag on the VRM heatsinks or the case side panel. They can also have components on the rear side of the motherboard that in rare cases can snag on custom backplates.
I can appreciate that, might seem daft its just a bit out of my comfort zone as I see it as one additional thing which could go pete tong, where as with the standard cooler in the 1% chance its about to give the ghost, you immediately know
Going mATX was the go-between from wanting to downsize a little but not creating a new problem with maintaining airflow in the case, though you did make me realise its really slim pickings for ddr5 matx on here at the minute
At this point I would still consider ATX for the sake of having a better selection of components within budget, just so long as the case is low profile/smaller foot print (not a chonky tower)
The phanteks eclipse p200 can fit a large cooler for an itx so you could save some money and buy a thermalright frost commander for under £40.
Looked at reviews and feedback for the peerless its punching well above its weight for its price. Have it saved incase first choice isn't available. Other one is a good shout too
AM5 alternative with a 2tb drive for more storage..not as fast but still good enough...could got for something like the lexar NM790 for £140 if you want fast with a read write of 7400/6500mb/s..has a 1500TBW endurance also..at least you'll have a cpu upgrade with am5.
I've got an existing 2tb moving across for storage (and some external) the small one is just to move OS and a couple common applications to. Sticking with samsung though I had an awful lot of trouble from a WD failure not long ago
I'm not likely to be upgrading much beyond the bits carrying over from previous (gpu, peripherals) which is why i was ok with intels end of life situation. Otherwise yea I completely get why everyones gone AM

Cheers again for the replies have slightly amended original post. Have a much better idea of the direction I want to go. Enjoy the footie this weekend :)

Last edited:
I've got an existing 2tb moving across for storage (and some external) the small one is just to move OS and a couple common applications to. Sticking with samsung though I had an awful lot of trouble from a WD failure not long ago
I'm not likely to be upgrading much beyond the bits carrying over from previous (gpu, peripherals) which is why i was ok with intels end of life situation. Otherwise yea I completely get why everyones gone AM

Cheers again for the replies have slightly amended original post. Have a much better idea of the direction I want to go. Enjoy the footie this weekend :)
There's nothing wrong with the Samsung as such (apart from the firmware issues on the early drives), but £120 gets you a 2TB SN770, so for me it is way overpriced. That said, SSDs have been creeping upwards for months now, so they're expensive either way.

There's nothing wrong with the Samsung as such (apart from the firmware issues on the early drives), but £120 gets you a 2TB SN770, so for me it is way overpriced. That said, SSDs have been creeping upwards for months now, so they're expensive either way.
I'm really not good at keeping up with this sort of thing but I'll take a pot shot and assume its "supply chain" related, with a hint of worlds smallest violin (gouging) or maybe even to do with AI

I'm taking the weekend to think on the build because I noticed another case which ticks the smaller footprint box - still a good downsize from my current, but also takes ATX
The configuration options inside the box are nice as well. All I need to decide on then is the b760/ddr5 board (choice from 6 atx/1 matx) and they generally all seem fine
Jonsbo D41 Mesh Standard ATX PC Case – Black, Tempered Glass (SKU: CA-02T-JB)

Cheers again for the collective feedback gave me a lot to consider

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom