Max woes, or is it my hardware?

Soldato
Situation is this,
I have been on Adsl max since Monday 8th. Now my modem/router is connected at 8mb but im only getting 2mb speeds. I understand how the system works but 7th day and still, apparently, capped?
I run a Netgear DG814, OK its old but Netgears tech people reckon it will work.
The connection has been lost a few times (ie the modem appears to lose the DSL signal) but thats about all thats happened. My modem wont show line stats so I cant comment on that, unless someone knows another method of getting that info.

What is the likelihood that my modem has has issues not the service?

Soldato
malfunkshun said:
my initial thought also, but after the strange connection losses of the last couple of days, and Netgears iffy tech support, I'm starting to look at my modem differently.
Resyncs are normal. I still resync 5-10 times a day, and I've had MaxDSL for over a month. Ok, it's not exactly satisfactory and I'm trying to persuade my ISP to contact BT about it... but I haven't had a reply from their tech support in 3 weeks. So I'll be getting a MAC key when I can, methinks.

If your router resyncs more than 10x in a 24hr period, the DLM should increase your SNR target and/or put interleaving on.

Soldato
OP
I know, I know, but seemingly pointless resyncs are annoying the hell out of me :p. Think I might upgrade my modem anyway, if nothing else i will get a better picture of whats going on with the line.

Soldato
malfunkshun said:
I know, I know, but seemingly pointless resyncs are annoying the hell out of me :p. Think I might upgrade my modem anyway, if nothing else i will get a better picture of whats going on with the line.
True. I can't believe the DG814 doesn't have line stats! (I'm not doubting you, I've checked and it really doesn't. Quite bizarre!)

Soldato
OP
Its a good box, but im doubting its abilities. As an example, I get packet loss style episodes when playing online games (you know, walk around the same corner three times etc etc), since the line upgrade. which makes me suspicious since our BF2 server, for example, is returning a ping of sub 20ms. Ah well, will wait and see i guess.

Associate
Ive completely fallen out with netgear routers and have moved over to linksys and have seen a fair improvement in my connection on ADSL Max since.

Associate
I got upgraded on the 9th.
I have not been disconnected at all yet. Though i am turning my router off every night.

Some days i get 2 meg, others i get 4.

I hope it goes up more than this 4 meg, or i might as well not have bothered.

It said i could get 6.5 which i would be happy with.

Soo...will it rise higher after the 10 days or you think 4 is the highest it is likely to go!?

Associate
malfunkshun said:
well, finally seeing some increase. Currently at about 4.5-5mb which is nice. Seems this old modem still has some life in it :D
im on max since last friday how will i know what speed i get after the 10days? im with f2s

Back
Top Bottom