Maybe desk work is not for me...

Associate
Hi all,

I have recently realised, desk work may not be for me, but there is a catch!

Background:
Had two surgery's last year (For Colitis), leaving me unable to sit down properly or drive. I have basically been stood up or lying down for months, recovery is ongoing.

I was doing 10 thousand steps a day, just around the house.
Started working from home (thank god!), 2 hours a day and increasing my hours gradually, with my step count however plummeting. I have found doing less steps/mobile utterly exhausting!

Really missing being on my feet! I don't think there is much I can do about it. I work as a data analyst and when at work do longish hours 7-4.30pm so little chance to be more mobile. I thought of another job type, but I am a disabled employee and cannot think of a suitable alternative where I am not sat at a desk/driving for 10 hours a day. Thought of a nursing role but training is too long, police officer, or something like that, but would not pass a medical.

TLDR version:
Desk jobs are exhausting, cannot think of how to improve this (I do enjoy my job). Can't think of a suitable alternate role, I guess this is a general moan!

Sgarrista
Commissario
Are you able to move your work around? Eg, do a couple of hours in the morning, go for a walk/run or gym etc, do a few more hours in the afternoon, have another break, and then work in the evening to finish your workload off?

Associate
OP
Hi all,

thanks for the responses.

Kindai:
I do have the benefit of flex! but 3/5 days I will be collecting our little one before and after work. (due to me being unwell this has not happened yet so unsure on timings)
However I could certainly on the other 2 days take an hour lunch and go for a walk.
I cannot move my work around sadly and have no reason to get up from my desk.

Bakes0310:
I know someone with a height adjustable desk, however with my team there is no room for one (I enquired to get me back into office sooner), I would be isolated away from the team on another floor.

Lurkio:
lol

I was thinking how this has not bother me before? (or thought of it) been in this role a few years. But, we moved office, now the kitchen is so close I could speak to someone from my desk and gents is close, previous building a both decent walk away.

Previous desk roles, I was responsible for printer maintenance, sending registers, collecting post, getting notes. All sorts so I was rarely at my desk the whole time.
With this role, I have no reason not to be at the pc!

Caporegime
I've been having similar thoughts for the past year or so, I exercise daily but sitting down all day really does drain me, more than physical jobs I've had in the past with up to 12 hours on my feet. Working from home full time just saps even more energy out of me to be honest, even though I'm free to get up and move around whenever, I don't as then it means having to work later.

Caporegime
DSE regulations should allow you to get up from your desk and take a break from the screen every X minutes, take advantage of that and fill up your water cup.

I need to do the above otherwise my back because troublesome

Your work should also be accomodating your issues and telling you to get up more

Associate
OP
To be brutally honest then, sounds like you need a new job role or new job which gives you that movement.

Yep, I am slowly coming to this conclusion.

I've been having similar thoughts for the past year or so, I exercise daily but sitting down all day really does drain me, more than physical jobs I've had in the past with up to 12 hours on my feet. Working from home full time just saps even more energy out of me to be honest, even though I'm free to get up and move around whenever, I don't as then it means having to work later.

That sums it up really well, crazy, sometimes In a evening I have so little energy I just sit for an hour or so, just no energy at all. I'm early 30's!

DSE regulations should allow you to get up from your desk and take a break from the screen every X minutes, take advantage of that and fill up your water cup.

I need to do the above otherwise my back because troublesome

Your work should also be accomodating your issues and telling you to get up more

I think in our previous office, this alleviated it more, but now popping for some water is 5 metres away, it does not do all that much.
In fairness I have not talked to them about it, but I know that if I was seen getting up and going to different floors etc, the upper management would certainly have a raised eyebrow at the very least.

As I am at home at the moment, doing near full time I hours, I have found like Ayahuasca said, I am free to get up and move around whenever, but it means working late, which makes a long day when I am starting at 7.30.

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone.
I thought my energy levels would increase with doing more hours at home and getting used to it, but they are just getting worse the less active I am.
I think what I will do is evaluate the situation once I am back at my desk doing my hours/childcare drop offs and commute.
Perhaps once I am there I can at least go for a walk/find a gym for 2/5 days, if not, will have to explore other avenues.

Associate
Luckily I work for a company where all departments are free to get up and stretch their legs and have a chat in the communal areas. I think it should be a thing, taking that little break once every so often really helps.

Associate
OP
Luckily I work for a company where all departments are free to get up and stretch their legs and have a chat in the communal areas. I think it should be a thing, taking that little break once every so often really helps.

I think that is really good!

Just an update on the situation:
I have done a full two 37 hour weeks, was very tough at first to force myself up, but the second day I left my water bottle at home, forcing me to get up often for a new cup, I have left it at home since, no one has said anything (I think it is more me worrying about what people think), I have managed to keep to 5 thousand steps a day minimum and feel much better than I ever used to energy wise in the role.
So I am certainly going to try and keep getting on my feet. It will be interesting to see what happens when It gets busier and when I do my normal shift, usually I work about an additional 5 hours per week to gain flex!

Slightly apprehensive about some things as my role has changed a bit since I was away, but for the moment plan to stay (Interestingly I cannot change to a role within the organisation for a year after my sickness this last year, not complaining just mentioned that it would involve leaving the organisation If I wanted any change)

Caporegime
take regular breaks and take up the offer of the standing desk on another floor... use some of your regular breaks to pop down and see your team

Soldato
You don't need a new desk, you can just buy an adjustable adapter which you put on top of the existing desk.

Surely your work place will be accommodating enough to allow you to use one? I'm pretty sure they have to? Especially since it's due to a condition/surgery etc.

Back
Top Bottom