MCU to "Refocus” and Disney sinking faster than the Titanic (Starwars is dead Marvel is dead)

Soldato
I don't care that much for this thread, but just for my knowledge, should the average man on the street who watches Star Wars stuff know who any of these people are?

If you'd asked me a couple of years ago I'd say I didn't recognise any of them. Sadly 2 years of browsing this sub forum and reading similar threads has taught me that third from left is Kathleen Kennedy, the lady who's photo is on so many people's dartboards in this thread:p. The other 3, genuinely no clue.

rp2000
I only know KK, no idea who the others are.

I googled is "the force is female" and that picture turns up.

Soldato
Its from June 2021, but OK, at least you backed it up!

I can see some words in there that would definitely have people of a certain mindset frothing at the mouth but, personally, I don't think it's a smoking gun by any means.

I highlighted in bold and green the 3 statements I agree with. I'm curious if you do.
No I disagree with all forms of forced diversity, I think 99% of the time its detrimental to the story, especially when said diversity comes at the expense of established ip's and the worlds that are already built.

Regarding one of the points you've highlighted
*Seeking at least three bids from vendors or suppliers on productions, one of which must be from a woman-owned business and one from a minority-owned business*
Why does it even matter? This is essentially the problem with dei. The best you can possibly get for the job should be the number 1 concern, not stupid quotas.
For the other 2, if we removed the words I have put in italics, then I might have batted an eyelid. As they stand, they seem more like goals than hard policies. It would take far too much research, but my gut tells me I could easily find an Amazon Original series or film that doesn't meet all the criteria set out above.

rp2000
I expect you could, I'd be willing to bet that the criteria is relaxed for non western productions as an example though.

Caporegime
No I disagree with all forms of forced diversity, I think 99% of the time its detrimental to the story, especially when said diversity comes at the expense of established ip's and the worlds that are already built.

Regarding one of the points you've highlighted
*Seeking at least three bids from vendors or suppliers on productions, one of which must be from a woman-owned business and one from a minority-owned business*
Why does it even matter? This is essentially the problem with dei. The best you can possibly get for the job should be the number 1 concern, not stupid quotas.
  • Casting actors whose identity (gender, gender identity, nationality, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability) aligns with the character they will be playing.
  • Pay equity across casting, behind the camera staff and crew, and for vendors and suppliers.
The above 2 that you disagree with don't really strike me as strictly speaking DEI related or detrimental to the story or at the expense of anything. I mean one is clearly equal pay that many organisations/governments strive towards, and the other could be considered a positive for a film in terms of authenticity. But anyway, fair enough.

• Seeking at least three bids from vendors or suppliers on productions, one of which must be from a woman-owned business and one from a minority-owned business.
I think a lot of companies have rules on a minimum amount of vendors to ensure there is no favoritism/nepotism/corruption. I see the having one (out of 3) tenders from a business that is run by women/minorities equivalent to including small and large vendors in the tender process. Give a chance to companies that wouldn't normally stand a chance against bigger companies. If the other vendor is still the best quality/price/value proposition then they will (should) still get selected.

rp2000

Soldato
and the other could be considered a positive for a film in terms of authenticity. But anyway, fair enough.
Not really, the pool of good actors is fairly limited anyway. By 'ensuring' xyz have to play xyz you will run out of good actors and productions will suffer for it, either that or it will be the same couple of people popping up in every single show.

Take the film my left foot as an example, if amazon were to make that movie with the same guidelines, you would kiss goodbye to one of the best acting performances ever committed to screen.

Caporegime
Not really, the pool of good actors is fairly limited anyway. By 'ensuring' xyz have to play xyz you will run out of good actors and productions will suffer for it, either that or it will be the same couple of people popping up in every single show.

Take the film my left foot as an example, if amazon were to make that movie with the same guidelines, you would kiss goodbye to one of the best acting performances ever committed to screen.
Why? The real person the movie was based on, Christy Brown was Irish, born in Dublin. Daniel Day Lewis, while born in England, had an Irish Father. I'd say that makes him able to play the part.

Soldato
Why? The real person the movie was based on, Christy Brown was Irish, born in Dublin. Daniel Day Lewis, while born in England, had an Irish Father. I'd say that makes him able to play the part.
er, because he doesn't have cerebral palsy... Same situation with the movie The Whale, again kiss goodbye to the oscar winning performance of Brendan Fraser

Caporegime
er, because he doesn't have cerebral palsy... Same situation with the movie The Whale, again kiss goodbye to the oscar winning performance of Brendan Fraser
It would be too difficult to actually shoot a movie with someone with CP so i think it would be OK. Brendan Fraser put on a lot of weight to play the part in The Whale too. You're stretching here. Amazon are talking about blindness or a limited disability or ethnicity.

Soldato
It would be too difficult to actually shoot a movie with someone with CP so i think it would be OK.
Sorry, he doesnt have a disability, thats not allowed in Amazons brave new world.
Brendan Fraser put on a lot of weight to play the part in The Whale too. You're stretching here. Amazon are talking about blindness or a limited disability or ethnicity.
He isnt gay for a start, cant have a straight man play a gay role.

Caporegime
No one is debating the fact that Disney their offerings and both the movies and the performance of Disney+ recently have been poor. What I can’t abide by is the constant cries of ‘it’s because they went woke! Too many female leads! Too much representation of minorities! Bring back the white men!’ When while that may have a small part to do with it, making fragile, masculine men stay away, the real reason is the poor writing, poor stories, rushed productions and bad screenplays and direction. Yet we still see it here and elsewhere, fully placing the blame for Disney’s woes on them going woke.

Absolutely.

I love films/series with female leads.
I've never been one for worrying about changes of gender or colour of someone's skin.

But Disney have put out generally bad films recently. Especially MCU. 6
Haven't watched many marvel films in years. GotG and venom being exceptions.

I'm more s series person than film but notable.

I do find it a bit bizarre how people get so. Antsy about what is (at the end of the day) fictional.

Soldato
Never felt like color played much of a part in the 80s/90s/early 2000s. I'd watch anything with Wesley Snipes <3 The lethal weapon movies anyone? White men can't jump (watched it recently and the both take the absolute **** out of stereotypes) Blade 1 and 2 are rough gems. Eddie Murphy had a decent run (Beverly hills cop / Trading places and all his stand up gigs.

A whole bunch of decent action movies and some comedy too with Bruce Lee / Jet Li / Jackie Chan. The explosion of hip hop on the scene. I haven't even got to Denzel and Morgan Freeman yet :D

Soldato
OP
Has anyone seen the state of Disney writing room? Blue hair and cats **** everywhere.

Guess very few on here have seen the pictures of Lucas Arts writing room also. Ones with pictures of Luke Skywalker with a a massive X over his face.

Soldato
OP
Ahh let’s blame the poor script and writing for a **** poor movie defence.

Correct

But you do know hiring writers and staff on who they sleep with and other attributes other than talent is actually a thing in Hollywood.

Ooo and heres one.

“The movie needs to reflect the world we live in today”

Just ignore the source material that’s laid out right in from of yah.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I personally don't get hung up on "source material".
I tend to enjoy/dislike a film on its own.

Same. I tend to massively (possibly over?) value ‘not knowing what is going to happen’ - it’s quite rare to be in suspense when certain films tend to follow the same patterns.

Caporegime
Same. I tend to massively (possibly over?) value ‘not knowing what is going to happen’ - it’s quite rare to be in suspense when certain films tend to follow the same patterns.

Yeah between predictable endings and rehashing it's refreshing to find something actually new.

Caporegime
There are plenty of films for that where there is no original source material like a book.

If you're going to take solid original source material and just butcher it into your own mess, then call it something else, to be honest. You could say it's lazy to take that original material and stay the course, but there's a knack to doing it well that's rarely achieved. I can't think of many films or shows where they've butchered the original material and it's actually worked.

You can modernise the content without turning the whole thing into a re-education lesson. Basically, they don't want to tell the audience the story, they want to tell their story or their political opinions. Look at the mess they made of Snow White, now it's been delayed for a year to add the dwarves, you know, a big part of the original material.

It's not just Disney or really old source material either. Even things like The Witcher, where they had something pretty good, but the writers want to do their own thing, so Cavill, who was pretty much perfect for the role, leaves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom