medion sim2000 cpu upgrade

Associate
i'm hoping someone here might be able to advise on this one...
My laptop currently has a sl6n6 1.4 celeron cpu which i think is best to get replaced with maybe a centrino or pentium m.
I've read a few things about upgrading to a 1.7 but wondered about a 2ghz chip or if a centrino running at 400fsb would be a better choice?
Any help much appreciated.

Associate
I think you're stuck with 400fsb centrino/pentium m/celeron m processors, you can use normal 400mhz fsb pentium m chips including up to 2ghz with the sim2000 but speedstep doesnt work properly and you'll need to use Notebook Hardware Control's custom dynamic switching otherwise I think it stays stuck at max/minimum speed.

Associate
OP
Cheers Voodle.
I went to someone local this evening and got a CPU to try (1.7GHz with 512k cache) but when I tried to fit it I realised the pins were different in the corner that's sort of cut off? I went back and changed it for a 1.5Ghz CPU with 1MB cache which I was told was a Pentium M so due to be a good performance difference from a Celeron. The pin arrangement was the same so it fitted fine.
I booted up and it came up as a Celeron again.:(
Oh well, I assume it's a bit of an upgrade to what I had before...

One thing that did confuse me was that under the heatsink on the motherboard was lumps of white gooey stuff? I thought it might have been some kind of heat compound? I couldn't work out why it would have been on the motherboard like that?

Back
Top Bottom