• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

Associate
If you go on the Cablemod subreddit you'll be able to see others who have had the same issue. Looks like Cablemod are providing repairs if you can't repair it through warranty.

If anyone is still using one of these connectors it might be worth looking for an alternative.

Soldato
You want a high power connector with individual pins in their own wires. So 16 wires (12 thick, 4 thin).

If you only have 8 wires some of the pins are bridged and could over heat, specially if it's a thin wire (18awg or so I guess)

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia
No it's Nvidia's fault, to cut costs they reduced the pcb size, use less solder with 1 plastic connector instead of 4 tried and tested plastic connectors that don't melt.:(
Didn't GNs video prove it was user error :confused:

Using the supplied cable correctly would any of these problems occurred?

Last edited:
Soldato

No it didn't prove user error, all it proved was it didn't happen in their limited testing.

Not getting at you but the level of ignorance with a flawed dangerous design that literally could burn your house down with everyone in it just to save a few quid on the most expensive gpu in production, so glad I had the brains to send my 4090 back and not buy a new case to fit it and just got a 79XTX instead .:)

Soldato
They proved that not being fully inserted can cause melting and everyone just assumed that the only way connectors could end up not being fully inserted would be "user error". (They also didn't prove that it's the only way to have a failure)

However, poor design can also result in this condition. I recently discovered that the latching mechanism allows a gap on the side opposite the latch....even when it is LOCKED.

20230724_162840.jpg

So, even if you make sure it's fully plugged in, and locked, with no gap at all, this is the play that can result from things like reinstalling your side panel or cable management. You basically need to "plug it in all the way" then gently back away as if the connector is some sort of explosive ordinance, lest it back out on you and result in the above gap.

Last edited:
Associate

Using the supplied cable correctly would any of these problems occurred?
Do you think the OP incorrectly installed his 4090 which ended up damaging his own £1600 card?

There are many reports of the original connector melting and not just 3rd party connectors.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As for reports of user error, I can confirm my 90 degree adapter was always connected flush with no stress at all on the cables, checked it every couple of weeks when cleaning out my system etc and I've seen varying reports of this happening even on the supplied Nvidia adapter and the ATX 3.0 native 12vhpwr cable.

Not entirely sure what's going on but I think we can all agree the connector is fundamentally flawed and Nvidia should be held to account.

Soldato
No it didn't prove user error, all it proved was it didn't happen in their limited testing.

Not getting at you but the level of ignorance with a flawed dangerous design that literally could burn your house down with everyone in it just to save a few quid on the most expensive gpu in production, so glad I had the brains to send my 4090 back and not buy a new case to fit it and just got a 79XTX instead .:)

If I recall he did say he l that the marks on the connector proved they were not inserted correctly.

I'm sorry you had to downgrade because you lacked the confidence to seat a cable :p

Associate
As for reports of user error, I can confirm my 90 degree adapter was always connected flush with no stress at all on the cables, checked it every couple of weeks when cleaning out my system etc and I've seen varying reports of this happening even on the supplied Nvidia adapter and the ATX 3.0 native 12vhpwr cable.

Not entirely sure what's going on but I think we can all agree the connector is fundamentally flawed and Nvidia should be held to account.
I personally don't think you're at fault OP and that the fault lies with Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sorry you had to downgrade because you lacked the confidence to seat a cable :p

Plenty have connected the cable, confident it will never fail-they are not.

It was too high a cost, I only wanted a new gpu.

Didn't budget for:

3rd party connector

possibly a new psu

New case including retro fit smoke detector/sprinkler system:p

Last edited:
Associate
If I owned a £1600 graphics card, you can be sure as hell that I'd make sure that the power connector is seated correctly - I'm sure all 4090 owners would and especially knowing that it is a well known problem.

Back
Top Bottom