• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Melted CableMod 4090 90 degree adapter

Soldato
I check mine every so often, finger touch tells me it does get warm but more to do with the fact that heat is being blown over it by the bottom fan of the gpu cooler rather than the cable getting too hot. I'm using a native cable provided by my atx3.0 psu and the connection makes a very satisfying click.

Have yet to remove the cable to inspect, pretty sure its okay though :p.

Soldato
A correctly seated connector, with zero stress on the plug can still fail due to nvidia and some aib's cheaping out on the connector design by bridging pins to save on the wire.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't believe that this is even an issue on a card that costs £1600 - what exactly did they skimp on?
Time on the QA bench before shipping the whole lot. That it in they lab (possibly using open bench rigs) they found no problems at least at design time.
So, even if you make sure it's fully plugged in, and locked, with no gap at all, this is the play that can result from things like reinstalling your side panel or cable management. You basically need to "plug it in all the way" then gently back away as if the connector is some sort of explosive ordinance, lest it back out on you and result in the above gap.
Good thing Sapphire aren't an Nvidia AIB as the Nitro line word then be too close to reality.

Class action law suit inbound-matter of time, Nv will cave and pay out without accepting liability-if you stay in the US.
Well, with Nvidia solder defects - aka Bumbgate - users outside of North America got... Nothing.

Associate
Yeah I certainly wouldn't want to buy a used one with 3 months warranty left for example, ticking time bomb.
My 90 degree adapter was fully seated and hadn't budged at all and still melted out.
Be careful guys
I wouldn't touch 4090 full stop until Nvidia have fixed the connectors and that it has been verified to not to melt lol - it's a £1600 card!

Soldato
Class action law suit inbound-matter of time, Nv will cave and pay out without accepting liability-if you stay in the US.

Say what you will about Americans, but they are good when it comes to that.

I had an LG Nexus 5X smartphone, and there was a problem with the chip that basically meant they were almost guaranteed to fail after a while, usually about 2 years.

In the US they filed and won a class action and people were compensated, of course that legal action didn't apply in the UK and LG didn't want to know.

Fortunately I managed to get sorted via Amazon, but shows you these companies don't care, I never bought an LG anything ever again.

Maybe you should think about that when considering if ever to buy another Nvidia product again.

Soldato
I wouldn't touch 4090 full stop until Nvidia have fixed the connectors and that it has been verified to not to melt lol - it's a £1600 card!

The changes they have made for the revised connector should keep it from melting. They are basically trading catastrophic failure for "Why isn't my graphics card powering up?" failure. The latter failure will be instantly recognized as a problem to the end user, and easly fixed when it occurs.

Last edited:
Associate
The changes they have made for the revised connector should keep it from melting. They are basically trading catastrophic failure for "Why isn't my graphics card powering up?" failure. The latter failure will be instantly recognized as a problem to the end user, and easly fixed when it occurs.
When was this change made and does it only apply to the 4090?

Man of Honour
I had an LG Nexus 5X smartphone, and there was a problem with the chip that basically meant they were almost guaranteed to fail after a while, usually about 2 years.

In the US they filed and won a class action and people were compensated, of course that legal action didn't apply in the UK and LG didn't want to know.

Same with the Note 4 and MMC chip coming loose causing it to fail, though I got 8 years or so out of mine before it started to fail so not complaining, in the US and Italy there was class action and they got compensation. In the UK tough luck.

Associate
Whenever I've seen reports of class action suits in America they usually end up with the consumer receiving a cheque for 70 cents after a 7 year court case so they're not that incredible

Back
Top Bottom