Soldato
Spec:
2600K @ 4.5Ghz 1.385v
16GB 1.35v corsair LP ram
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Evga 1080 SC
custom watercooling
Corsair AX760

I set my PC to do an overnight stress test as validation that it works before stripping down the CPU, mobo and ram for sale.

At some point during the night it shut off and restarted. Kept cutting out when using this morning.

Stripped it down to find the CPU cable has 2 melted 12V pins at both ends.

fu95tTph.jpg

c0er79ph.jpg

I have the system up and running with the 2nd 8 pin cable and it seems to be fine for now but I don't know what to trust to work. Is it my mobo pulling too much power, is it the PSU giving too much power or was the cable just bad?

I am thinking bad cable cause if it was the PSU then it would be all the 12V pins and if it was the mobo then it would have fried the traces in the mobo long before the cable melted.

What do you think? I really want to get this X99 hardware installed but also really don't want to kill it.

Soldato
OP
I ordered a Superflower Leadex White Gold 650W which will arrive tomorrow. Gonna send the AX760 back to corsair, don't want to risk anything being wrong with it.

If the motherboard was drawing too much power through the cable then surely it would have fried the motherboard circuits long before it melted the plastic around the pins on cable?

Associate
If the motherboard was drawing too much power through the cable then surely it would have fried the motherboard circuits long before it melted the plastic around the pins on cable?

have you been able to test the other components since this happened? hate to say it but something like that could have broken the CPU and the mobo

Man of Honour
I ordered a Superflower Leadex White Gold 650W which will arrive tomorrow. Gonna send the AX760 back to corsair, don't want to risk anything being wrong with it.

Not from what I have seen previously. It may have damaged the cpu or motherboard though.

Soldato
OP
I have the whole system running again. Same PSU, CPU, mobo and even the same overclock :cool:. Just without the ruined cable. Has been completely stable in OCCT and gaming.

I checked the sockets on both the mobo and PSU and neither have any marks at all apart from a little bit of melted plastic from the plug.

It is definitely possible that it wasn't plugged in properly. Checking now I have noticed that one of the 4 pin sockets (of the 4+4 connector) has a latch for the plug so the other 4 pin can slide out freely.

Back
Top Bottom