Members Website List

Man of Honour
It has been reported that the members website list contains lots of dead links, unsuitable sites (i.e. sites that do not comply with the requirements of the forum rules), etc. Sure enough, it only took me two clicks to find a non-existant domain.

I fear the effort required to go through the list and pick out every single broken site, unsuitable site, inactive site, etc. would be somewhat time-consuming and rather inaccurate, to say the least. So, I'd like to propose we start again.

I also note that the current owner of the list, Cyro, is no longer active on the forums and just stops by very rarely to update the list. I'd like to sincerely thank him for all the efforts over the last four years, but suggest that perhaps it is time to hand the torch to someone more active. Therefore, would anyone else be willing to 'step up' to maintaining a new list?

As this list is maintained for the benefit of the members, I'll open this up to your comments and thoughts. So, it's your turn. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Sure, if you're willing, then why not. I wasn't sure anyone would be willing to spend the time required on it. Sadly as people around here know I'm not exactly active in this forum, so I don't have much time myself, but will do what I can to help. :)

You'll have to start a new thread obviously as you can't edit the posts in the existing one. When the time is right I'll happily swap them over.

Man of Honour
OP
Gets a bit nasty if you hover your mouse over the end of 'OC Host Review' (@ 1024x768) though. Tried on FF 1.5 and IE6.

Whoever added the link to 'Walker Designs' seems to have made a slight mistake. It'll probably be a good idea to check for error that in the script and 'fix' it (it's so common).

Oh, and nice capture of Twobeds. :eek: :p

Man of Honour
OP
OK, here's my guidance on the subject of forums, Google Adsense, etc., barring any ruling to the contrary (I've asked for confirmation):

1. If you're just linking to a forum to plug your forum, then that's a no.
  2. If you're linking to a site that contains other stuff, and a forum, then that's probably OK.
  3. If your site is ad supported (i.e. you use ads to cover costs, that's OK). Good examples of this would be free uploaders.
  4. If you are just out to make a profit, that's again a no.
  5. And finally, if your site breaks the forum rules (competitors, swearing, etc.), then that's a definite no. For example, please be careful with sites where people other than you can add content - e.g. blog sites, as these are prone to swearing etc. being posted.
I hope that helps.

PS - please excuse the slightly confusing thread now. I've removed the discussion from the stuck thread and put it here.

Man of Honour
OP
At the end of the day, if there is any doubt, then sites have to be treated on their individual merits. The members website list is not an excuse to avoid the forum rules, but if there is justifiable reason for including a site, then in it goes.

Back
Top Bottom