Mercedes AMG A35 or current A45

Soldato
I really want a c63, but the coupe isn’t practical for me, and the estate for me, ruins the looks.

So I’m now leaning on the A class. I’m aware there’s due to be an updated a45 now that the a35 is out, but I’m thinking of going second hand for my First AMG.

I’m reading the performance between the new a35 is on par with the now older a45.

There’s some nice night yellow editions available around the 35k mark at the moment.

What would you do? Help!!

Soldato
OP
I don’t really have many days to spend playing in the twistys :(

It’s mainly a commuter and something that is far away from the pick up I drive all day at the moment.

And needs to be able to house the little dog in the boot

Soldato
OP
The A45 is a great car; however it suffers with only one real problem - it's too grippy. This tends to lead to understeer when pushing on. In terms of usability, it's great. It can be reasonably economical on long journeys (35mpg), and in comfort mode it's generally a sedate ride. In sports mode it can be quite trashy - but without being too bad.

I haven't yet driven an A35 and it's not on my list to drive - I'm awaiting to the A45s, which I'll then probably upgrade my A45 too (as it has a better setup and ability to oversteer rather than understeer).

Any particular questions, fire away. I have a 2017 A45 from new. With Sports Exhaust, Aero Package, plus a tonne of other options.

2017 is what I’m looking at, the yellow night edition that’s currently catching my eye.

I’d want the aero pack ... who wouldn’t. But it’s the niggling thought that the moment I buy it the new a45s will come out pushing 420bhp. But I don’t want to wait much longer!!

Has there been any major annoyance in your ownership?

Soldato
OP
The yellow looks great - I originally wanted the green, but talked my self out of it and went with Silver with the Aero pack.

The new one sounds great - whether or not it is great is another thing! Looking forward to driving one and a hoping the numbers match.

The A45 hasn't missed a beat during my 2 years (nearly). There's been no recalls, the only time I've had to take it back to Mercedes (or any other garage) is for a service and tyre change (screw in tyre, so had to change it). There's been nothing else go wrong with the car.

Things I would change about it - the screen I'd like to be touch screen - the 'iDrive' rip off works fine, no issues there, but there's something more intuitive about a touch screen.
Apple Car play can be a bit strange (though this is a apple rather than Merc thing). Connects into the cubby inside the arm rest. Sometimes ti needs unlocking, sometimes it just works without needing to unlock. Sometime Spotify needs to be shut and opened again on start up. It's a mild annoyance.

I tend to drive in Sports mode with Manual mode turned on; Sports mode gives you the cracks and bangs through the sports exhaust. But without manual mode it's very aggressive and will when you're coasting along, just drop two cogs and egg you on. All the time. Manual mode solves this. There's no manual through the gear stick - all done with the flappy paddle.

Overall, massively complimentary on the car. Other people who pass it, or ride in it love it. I love it.

Anything else, shout up.

And you would be more tempted (if buying now) To get a AMG A45 2017 over the 2019 AMG A35?

Back
Top Bottom