Merge in turn vigilantes

Soldato
This seems to be a growing problem here in Norfolk at least. To try and ease congestion around Norwich (or at least keep as many junctions clear as possible) they are putting in/extending extra lanes with merge in turn points at the end. The problem is people won't use them and anyone that does gets a dose of dangerous driving from the merge in turn police. The signs showing "Merge in turn" with the diagram showing the cars in the zip motion have been up for a couple of years now, makes no difference.

Two days in a row I've had aggravation (both male OAPs) for using the road as intended. The first guy was so intent that he wasn't letting me merge that he ended up bouncing into the curb in his quest to push me into oncoming traffic. Today was a mere 20 or so flashes of main beam. If it isn't a bumper to bumper "you're not coming in" then it is a 'swerve and straddle' over both lanes.

Is this problem getting worse or am I just noticing it more due to the road changes?

Soldato
OP
I imagine part of the problem is no one using the lane. That means when you use it, it "looks" like you're trying to overtake everyone and get to the front. Obviously this isn't the reality and is an issue with some drivers egos. If everyone used the lane as intended then I think the issue would be less frequent.
I think this is a big part of the problem. On the way into work there is a relatively new stretch of dual lane (put in to stop the roundabout and slip road leading to it getting blocked) and you can pass a 500 yard queue using the second lane sometimes as the majority of people won't use that second lane, instead preferring to block the traffic.

I don't race past and dive in, I'll keep a steady pace and make my intention clear before the merge point by positioning my car between the other two and matching their speed. It is at this point that the car length gap that they were leaving becomes inches as the try to stop you "pushing in". I always end up merging where I intended though. At the end of the day they can let me in or crash into my employers car. No skin off my nose either way.

Soldato
OP
Had some roadworks on a 2 lanes dual carriageway for about a year here recently, signs for 800 yards warning of lane closing and to use both lanes, ***** driving a Sainsbury's lorry decided to straddle both lanes at the 800 yards mark at almost standstill traffic, I leaned on the horn for over a minute, and when there was space on the inside on a flyover, I got past. I just don't understand some people, I always use the closing lane, that's what it's there for.
Last time a truck did this I photographed it and sent it to their employer. I know I shouldn't be using a phone behind the wheel but if I'm stopped... meh :p

I was watching some UK dashcam channel last night on youtube and it was full of people leaning on the horn, flashing their lights, effin and jeffin like a good 'un when half the time the "guilty" party did nothing more than be infront of the camera car. It seems like these people think that a£60 Nextbase camera makes them judge and jury when it comes to motoring when the reality is that theydon't really have a clue and clearly have anger issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Getting the balance is important. I do get annoyed when people sit in a 40 mile queue approaching a merge or lane closure, but also hate people that bomb it down lane 2 then try to force their way in 2 meters before a cutoff.
I think people do that though because it is easier. The more you match your speed and try to merge in the flow of the traffic the more people close the gap. Diving in before they have a chance to close the gap may make you look like a tool but it does stop the game of silly buggers before it has a chance to start.

It is too aggressive for me though, I prefer an assertive angle and head straight in the direction of the car I'm merging behind. Puts the ball in their court if the other party wants to take out my passenger side door. So far no one has :p I used to be more defensive but that left me completely out of road once many years ago with a stream of half a dozen cars inches from each others bumpers refusing to let me in.

Soldato
OP
I know exactly what you mean, and it gets on my nerves. But let's be frank, Norfolk does have some of the worst drivers in the country...

Plus if the councils keep going the way they are, Norwich won't even allow vehicles anywhere near the centre...

1udj6z.jpg

Yeah they have really screwed it up haven't they. "Yes, lets close half the roads through the city. Then everyone will use the fantastic bus service or go everywhere by bike." Er... no, you've just squeezed the same number of cars on to half the roads! I actually managed 4 mph average speed (no exaggeration) from Bowthorpe to Prince of Wales road last week. FOUR MILES PER HOUR! Thankfully it is very rare I have to go into the city centre at all now.

Soldato
OP
Thread bump but I had my worst ever instance of this today, usual place and guess what, it was an OAP lady. Traffic was heavy and I came off the roundabout in the outside lane as I always do which allows traffic to join seamlessly from the slip road a couple of hundred yards up. Ratio of traffic is about 2/3 inside lane to 1/3 outside. All flowing quite nicely and as I get towards the merge point I position my car between the OAP in the Yaris and the car infront of her. She closes the gap "here we go" I thought but I carry on. As the lanes start to come together she sticks her car into the ever decreasing gap and leans on the horn. I should have just carried on but it was going to end in an accident. She literally was about an inch from ramming me for "pushing in". Adrenalin pumping through me I jump out of the car, I wanted to ask her if she actually did want to cause an accident. This probably looked quite threatening, I'm a fairly big guy but soft as **** and have never raised my hand to anyone, let alone an OAP but she wasn't to know that. So she drove up and over the curb and up the road.

Now the irony of it. Next set of lights is another merge in turn but because it has been there since forever people tend to use the outside lane if they are going straight over. So I pull up alongside her and signal for her to wind down her window staying in the car this time. I shouted across "Are you trying to cause an accident. That was two lanes merging in to one, just as it is up ahead. Two lanes.... merging in to one." I couldn't quite make out her response but it was along the lines of "If you try to wipe me out I'll wipe you out" Seriously, WTF. I'm commuting and she's at ******* war. I'm using the outer lane so as not to block traffic, she's looking for a fight.

Next time, I'll just do what I should have and drive her clean out of road if that's what she really wants.

Soldato
OP
I get annoyed at the best of times but never to the point where I'd jump out of the car to shout at someone and hold traffic up whilst doing that. No matter what she did you'll look worse for it shouting at a OAP sadly.

You jumped out of your car to scare an old lady for the sake of one car length. Just let her go and filter in behind.

Totally agree I was in the wrong. TBH I was in shock a bit and wasn't probably reacting as I would normally. As for jumping out to scare an old lady, no. I jumped out and asked (not shouted) if she was trying to cause an accident after she deliberately and aggressively drove at me while I was merging in a perfectly normal way. She was early sixties at a guess and judging by her comment of how she would "wipe me out" quite clear about her actions.

I shouldn't have done it, I totally agree but I will defend my character here and say that it wasn't my intention to scare her. I was just in complete disbelief at her aggression and stupidity in her quest to stop me "pushing in".

EDIT - When I say shouted across, I shouted as in loud enough to be heard, not raging at her. Reading that back it sounded like I was being aggressive which wasn't the case.

Anyway, I shouldn't have done it. I looked like a tit and I hope that next time it happens I'll be able just to take a deep breath, accept the fact that another road user has tried to "wipe me out" for commuting and carry on with my life :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The thing I don't get is, it obviously causes a fair bit of stress all this. So even though you know you're in the right why not just drive more defensively and queue like everyone else.
I have taken this approach, I can't be arsed with the hassle of some vigilante smashing into my car.
I may just do this. Who cares that they put in 500m of dual lanes to try and keep a slip road from a growing estate and a roundabout off of a major A road clear, much better to just sit there in a single line and block them both up while 500m of road space sits unused because people who can't just allow everyone to drive as per the rules of the road may try to drive into you.

Funnily enough this is the first time I'd had an issue since my original post and was by far the most aggressive driving I've ever had towards me in 18 years behind the wheel.

I was in the wrong for letting the adrenalin get to me. Live an learn and hopefully it will be at least another 18 years before I feel the need to get out of my car to point out that someone was going to drive into me for no reason what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom