Merion erazer beast x25

Associate
Hello. I wanted to buy a legion 5 pro but they are sold out everywhere so I was looking for alternatives and saw this laptop on overclockers with specs that seem to good to be true.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/medi...qhd-amd-r7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-018-md.html

Does anyone know anything about this laptop. Medion seems to be a German company so should be ok. Assuming I buy it from overclockers would it be covered by a good warranty (sorry never used overclockers before so not aware) in case there are issues

Associate
I have a Median Erazor laptop as work backup from 3 years back, don't use an awful lot but always been fine when I needed it.

Only 8gb ram with a 1050 gpu but also not bad for light gaming, even completed RE2 remake on it, I bought for similar reasons as you as it was great deal for its spec.

No complaints about the from me, they offer a good value budget choice without a ton of frills.

Soldato
Looks excellent for the price.

Edit:
Overseas buyers reporting that despite being advertised as 150+15W GPU, it actually only has
"The gaming laptop has a 125 watt TGP + 15 watt dynamic TGP boost." and only comes with a 230W PSU and not the expected 330W PSU you'd expect and really need with such power limits to allow the GPU and CPU to both stretch the legs with decent power for the rest of the system left over etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...Vaw3Nt5POhp19q69F1GPQ_Q4W&cshid=1626194905665

So no where near where it was promised; it's possible that this could be resolved with a BIOS/VBIOS update and there may be an alternate model with a bigger PSU and providing the full power advertised, but be aware it may not be quite as per the advertised specs.

That said if it is not as advertised and is unable to deliver the specs promised; you may well be able to return it.

Medion's German Support site also mentions the UK model and essentially confirms 230W PSU.
MEDION service (www-medion-com.translate.goog)

It's still a lot of laptop, but the 3080 isn't the full fat model IMO, its a 125W not a 150+W one.
There has been a BIOS update around about a month ago. It IS possible that that improves performance/increases power limits, but unfortunately there are no change notes.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks excellent for the price.

Edit:
Overseas buyers reporting that despite being advertised as 150+15W GPU, it actually only has
"The gaming laptop has a 125 watt TGP + 15 watt dynamic TGP boost." and only comes with a 230W PSU and not the expected 330W PSU you'd expect and really need with such power limits to allow the GPU and CPU to both stretch the legs with decent power for the rest of the system left over etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqmaDjvuDxAhV9_7sIHTcVA5AQFnoECAMQAA&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/comments/nnxexg/medion_erazer_beast_x25_rtx_3080_with_up_to_165/&usg=AOvVaw3Nt5POhp19q69F1GPQ_Q4W&cshid=1626194905665

So no where near where it was promised; it's possible that this could be resolved with a BIOS/VBIOS update and there may be an alternate model with a bigger PSU and providing the full power advertised, but be aware it may not be quite as per the advertised specs.

That said if it is not as advertised and is unable to deliver the specs promised; you may well be able to return it.

Medion's German Support site also mentions the UK model and essentially confirms 230W PSU.
MEDION service (www-medion-com.translate.goog)

It's still a lot of laptop, but the 3080 isn't the full fat model IMO, its a 125W not a 150+W one.
There has been a BIOS update around about a month ago. It IS possible that that improves performance/increases power limits, but unfortunately there are no change notes.

Thanks for the extra info. I would like to think overclockers would have checked the specs out first to make sure their info is correct.

Soldato
Thanks for the extra info. I would like to think overclockers would have checked the specs out first to make sure their info is correct.

It is not their fault. Medion ARE advertising the unit as 150+15W capable, even on their own website, BUT end users are reporting they're finding it is more of a 125+15.
Still a LOT of laptop for the money, but yeah this one is unfortunately on Medion as appears their marketing info may be incorrect; unless its toggleable somewhere that is well hidden :(

As it's 125-140W its by no mean bad, I'll point to the 3080's with 100W TGPs which is definately Max Q in all but name, if its MaxQ it's definately on the high side of the power allowances there, but yeah it's not quite the MaxP variant Medion is promising.

See some videos from a user here, notice he's listing it as 140W in the newer videos, and usually its floating around the 120W mark:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCprJWaUQD4uI0y8lhLgnmuw

I'd like to THINK they may have resolved it with the BIOS released last month; but realistically I have to wonder, as a 230W PSU doesn't leave much room for a high boosting AMD processor, and high TGP processor, especially when you factor in the power requirements for the REST of the system components.

I would suggest bringing this up with OcUK directly in the Customer Support forum or over the phone and see if they can test a unit or check directly with Medion based on what other users are reporting. OcUK staffers won't necessarily see this thread.

Last edited:
Gangster
OcUK Staff
Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the issue we are double checking the information with Medion as we do not want to advertise with the incorrect details.

We were told it is 150w + 15w. We will keep it as it currently is for now and hopefully have the answer in the morning.

Update: We are still waiting on the official comment from Medion on this. If I hear nothing by Monday I will chase again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the issue we are double checking the information with Medion as we do not want to advertise with the incorrect details.

We were told it is 150w + 15w. We will keep it as it currently is for now and hopefully have the answer in the morning.

Update: We are still waiting on the official comment from Medion on this. If I hear nothing by Monday I will chase again.

Thank you

Associate
OP
any updates yet (guessing not)
Assuming I was to buy this (or any other laptop from OCUK) can someone explain how laptop warranties work with OCUK. Other companies have different levels for 1year or 2 year etc but i cant find that type of info for OCUK (apart from for full PC systems which i assume is different). If the laptop breaks do i send it for repair to OCUK or do I need to deal directly with Medion or whatever brand made the laptop?

Soldato
Mine arrives today and I did a lot of digging into this -

On the Medion forum in the link below an employee (Major_Tom) posted the 165w BIOS and a "How To" of the complete update needed to make this 165W TGP and a few owners are now confirming that this works for their various models. He also confirmed that this new BIOS will work on EVERY version of the X25 with a RTX 3080 (UK, German etc) although he did give the usual "do this at your own risk" warning as you are messing with the BIOS.

It's all in German so I've added a Google Translate version below too -

****EDIT****

I have now done this and have a fully tested 165W output. I've changed a few bits in the text below to make it easier to read.

https://community.medion.com/t5/ERA...hmark-Performance-und-erster/m-p/118202#M7730 - original link

Hello everybody,

We can now present you three updates with which we were able to measure the 165 watts on various notebooks of the Beast X25 series in the laboratory.
Important: Please note that the Control Center update and the BIOS update are compatible with all MEDION ERAZER Beast X25 models, the DMI configuration file, however, specifically addresses the energy settings, as required for a model with a built-in RTX 3080 graphics chip.

The update takes place in three steps:
  1. Please install the BIOS version 1.19MED09 that we have linked you to here and that will soon also be available for download from the MEDION service portal (takes about 3-4 minutes and goes from a CMD screen to the bios and restarts the Laptop twice during the flashing process - the fans may run at 100% after the flash is complete but the new software at step 4 will cure this).
  2. After a restart, please uninstall your current version of the MEDION Control Center. (DO NOT DO THIS - go to step 3 instead)
  3. Run the following DMI patch for the RTX 3080 graphics chip (Right click and run as Admin - a CMD screen will pop up for a few seconds then close, then move on to step 4).
  4. Finally, install the current version of the MEDION Control Center in version 3.33.18 , which we have linked for you here and which can also be downloaded from the MEDION service portal (open "11_ControlCenter_Beast_X25" folder, open "ControlCenter_3.33.18_MEDION" folder, open "service" folder, right click on UniwillService_3.33.31.0_STD.exe and Run as Admin. This will UNINSTALL your existing Control Centre and install the new one).
In addition, the installation instructions for the BIOS update (point 1), for which you proceed as follows:

+++ Installation instructions Bios update ERAZER Beast X25 +++
Please proceed according to the following scheme:

1. Unzip the downloaded file into a directory of your choice on the hard drive.
2. Then start the update process under Windows by right-clicking on the F.bat file and select Run as administrator.
After the system has restarted, the changes will take effect.

Attention:
Please take into account that some BIOS values may have changed after the update. Therefore you should always write down your most important parameters beforehand.
Important:
Medion AG assumes no liability for any loss of data or errors in hardware or software that occur as a result of the update being carried out. The user acknowledges this when executing the update.

Of course we look forward to your feedback. When responding, please always include your currently installed Windows operating system version and the version of the EC BIOS (readable in the BIOS start screen) so that we can compare the values with ours.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Gangster
OcUK Staff
Hi,

I had confirmation also this morning:

Boost clock (MHz): up to 1605
TGP (W): 150
Dynamics Boost (W): up to 15
Max GPU Power (W): up to 165

Features:
- Dynamic Boost 2.0,
- Whisper Mode 2.0,
- Resizable BAR,
- Advanced Optimus,
- DirectX 12 Ultimate

Soldato
Mine just arrived a few minutes ago - Part no is 62308 with a country code of MSN 30031980 and I'll be flashing the BIOS later today once I've done some pre-flash testing.

****EDIT****

RAM is 32GB of 2x16GB Samsung M471A2G43AB2-CWE 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Non ECC SODIMM

https://www.memorycow.co.uk/memory-...-memory-ram-sodimm?keyword=DDR4&description=1

SSD is Phison 1TB pt no PS5012-E12S (PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe, 3400/3100 MB/s 680,000/670,000 IOPS)

https://www.phison.com/en/solutions/consumer/pc-laptop/pcie

Expansion - 1x M.2 bay spare with an integrated 1in x 2in metal/thermal pad heater spreader built into the laptops metal bottom panel.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks for the extra info, its appreciated.
Looking at the instructions to do the updates in the BIOS. As someone who has never done anything like that before and who is not very technical or confident with these things is it as straight forward as it sounds in the steps outlined?

Soldato
It looks simple and a few folks on medions forums have said it was easy. I'm quite IT literate so I find flashing a BIOS to be easy anyway but this one looks to be extremely easy as it does everything via windows itself.

Associate
OP
It looks simple and a few folks on medions forums have said it was easy. I'm quite IT literate so I find flashing a BIOS to be easy anyway but this one looks to be extremely easy as it does everything via windows itself.
thank you ianh

Back
Top Bottom