Messed Up Windows: Urgent Help Required.

Associate
Hey,

I was having some problems with the internet before, and I needed to go into safemode to fix it. So I loaded up msconfig and ticked the box so it loads into safemode on next reboot, and low and behold it will not load into safe mode and the screen just stays blank. So I was kind of messed because I could not log into windows to disable safe mode!! I ran a repair installation using my repair disk, and that fixes it and I can go into safemode, but I get a message saying "the next part of setup cannot continue in safe mode, press ok to restart", so I am kind of messed up at the moment.

So if anyone can suggest anything (quicky if possible) I will greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Martyn

Soldato
It really depends what kind of "repair" your repair disk has done.

Are we talking about a manufacturer repair CD, or a Windows XP disk and you have ran the repair feature?

Associate
OP
Memphis said:
It really depends what kind of "repair" your repair disk has done.

Are we talking about a manufacturer repair CD, or a Windows XP disk and you have ran the repair feature?
I just booted from my Windows XP Setup disk, and selected the repair option from there.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
try taping f8 on boot to see if it give you the option to start normally (this is the best way to enter safe mode, not using msconfig! :confused: )

when u repaired did you use the recovery console or the repair installation from when you go through after the license agreement?

Soldato
Martyn. said:
I just booted from my Windows XP Setup disk, and selected the repair option from there.

If you did a full repair, you have already re-installed your OS, and will need to go into Windows normally to finish the setup.

I don't understand why you are still trying to get into safe mode after a repair install.

Associate
OP
Memphis said:
If you did a full repair, you have already re-installed your OS, and will need to go into Windows normally to finish the setup.

I don't understand why you are still trying to get into safe mode after a repair install.
I know what you mean. But even though I did a repair installation, my computer still has the setting stored to go into safe mode from before, so it automatically goes into safe mode, and seeing as "setup cannot be completed" in safe mode the system has to reboot, and eslsentially it goes round in a loop like that.

As the previous poster said, I should have tapped F8, but I just used msconfig as it would have been quicker at the time.

What I think I will have to do is edit my boot.ini file (which I presume msconfig changes when I tick the "safeboot" box)? And I presume I will have to do that from the recovery console, but I do not how to do that.

I really need to get this sorted though. I know I was wrong to use msconfig to go into safe mode, and I have certainly learned my lesson!!!

Associate
if F8 doesn't work, run the recovery console and type 'fixboot'. This should re-write boot.ini to the default setting.

Russty

Permabanned
Disconnect the current drive (I'll call it #1). Grab a temporary hard-drive (call this #2), install XP as rough as you like on #2.

Set #1 as slave, make sure #2 is set as either Master or CS (Cable Select), and connect #1 backup along with #2.

Bootup from #2, copy the files you want to backup from #1 to #2, disconnect #2, setup #1 as a Master and reinstall XP properly on it.

When done, connect #2 up, and copy over your backup.

Associate
OP
I ideally did not want to format to be honest.

I do backup regularly though, and my last one was from yesterday. I just cannot be bothered going through installing all my stuff again.

Oh well, I have just formatted anyway.

Associate
If you have access to a second computer, plug your windows hard drive into this any edit boot.ini manually.

When you add -safemode in msconfig it only alters the boot.ini file. I might have been wrong about the fixboot altering boot.ini bit, it was just an idea for you to try.

The only other thing I can suggest is that if you have a windows vista beta disk, boot from that as it has some editing tools in its repair setup believe.

Russty

Back
Top Bottom