Meta Quest 2 and steamvr issue

Associate
Im a noob to vr and wondering if anyone else had this issue, might be something i am doing, or it may just be how it is

So im getting a used quest 2 for christmas from the mrs, already have it and the mrs allowed me to have a night to play and test it :D
i followed the guide to get it set up downloading the oculus app and it works flawlessly streaming games via that via usb so i thought lets try some steam games, now this may be wrong but i assumed you could link it to steamvr via the usb tether cable and stream the games to it just like the oculus app, but when launching steam through the headset it always wants to connect wirelessly to steam, am i doing something wrong?
My usb cable comes up that it works perfect on the test from oculus app.

My standard virgin router is on the other side of the house and i have no way to move it, kept getting lag/frame drops where it was barely playable.

Am i best just getting a 2nd router to use as an access hub, or is there a way to configure it to just work over usb?

Associate
You should just launch Oculus link and open SteamVR from there and it will stay on your wired connection. I've never had it try and open Steam VR wirelessly when I'm connected via link cable.

Edit - are you opening the Steam Link app direct in the headset without going through Oculus Link first? If so, that'll be your issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i installed the steam app on the headset and when i click that to open on the headset itself on the app browser, that is when it shows me i need to connect wirelessly, if i turned the wireless off on the headset and it says no steam server found until i turn it back on

Soldato
i installed the steam app on the headset and when i click that to open on the headset itself on the app browser, that is when it shows me i need to connect wirelessly, if i turned the wireless off on the headset and it says no steam server found until i turn it back on

The Steam Link app only works over wireless. You will need to use Oculus Link if you want to use a USB cable.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
so does this mean you cannot play steam games with the cable? or i need to add something to the oculus app in order to do so?

Sorry, should have explained better :)

Yes, you need to download the Oculus PC app and install it. Then on your Quest 2, in the quick settings there will be an Oculus Link option. Start the Oculus App on your PC and then connect using the Oculus Link on your Quest 2. When it connects to your PC, there will be desktop option. Select that and it will open up your normal windows desktop. From there you can start Steam VR.

Associate
OP
Sorry, should have explained better :)

Yes, you need to download the Oculus PC app and install it. Then on your Quest 2, in the quick settings there will be an Oculus Link option. Start the Oculus App on your PC and then connect using the Oculus Link on your Quest 2. When it connects to your PC, there will be desktop option. Select that and it will open up your normal windows desktop. From there you can start Steam VR.
Aah i see, this is possibly where i have been going wrong, i do have the oculus app, so once the mrs lets me have it back for christmas i shall have to give this a try, thanks guys

Last edited:
Soldato
Aah i see, this is possibly where i have been going wrong, i do have the oculus app, so once the mrs lets me have it back for christmas i shall have to give this a try, thanks guys

Post up a message here when you set it up again and if you have any issues we can try to help you out.

Associate
OP
I have since had a little time to test this and can confirm I can now use it via usb with no issues, been playing a little rick and morty as the mrs basically said I could have the headset early haha

Back
Top Bottom