Meta Rebranding Quest Software Horizon OS, Will Run On New Headsets From ASUS, Lenovo...

Associate
not a fan of that myself to be honest. I can see where you are coming from but the android store is full of utter guff. I would rather have a smaller curated store where apps from applab could later be promoted too somehow and then work on making applab more user friendly as a 2nd store
I can see your point, but as long as there's a good ratings and filtering system I think it won't be a problem, getting on Steam is apparently easier than the Meta store and it hasn't done Steam any harm. Getting apps/games on the Meta store is notoriously long winded and at the whim of a reviewers personal opinion on a game. There's been some great indie games that never made it to the Meta store, like Tea For God, that would have sold many more than it did had it made it to the store. That dev afaik has basically given up because of low sales despite making a good game. And they'll be far more variety of games/apps which means more VR users tastes will be catered for which encourages more VR users.

Soldato
If someone makes a headset a bit like the pico4 just with better panels and a displayport....AND can then access the meta store for games like beatsaber, what's not to like.

Meta makes more money from the store (assume a bit like apples 30% cut) which can they reinvest into VR.

I guess it's one less headache for hardware manufacturers.

Then again, I am looking forward to seeing what Google can do with their OS.

Last edited:
Soldato
If someone makes a headset a bit like the pico4 just with better panels and a displayport....AND can then access the meta store for games like beatsaber, what's not to like.

Meta makes more money from the store (assume a bit like apples 30% cut) which can they reinvest into VR.

I guess it's one less headache for hardware manufacturers.

Then again, I am looking forward to seeing what Google can do with their OS.

I'm assuming using Meta's OS comes with Meta's tracking data, which is really good.

Caporegime
Great hardware with terrible software is a common thing, you can see it with TVs (Hisense and TCL), so having a company being able to make some great hardware, and just licence/leverage the Meta/Horizon software side of things could mean more varied hardware options.

Associate
This is probably like Microsoft in the early PC days, allowing Windows to to be licenced to any pc builder, long term who gains, Microsoft of course.

Meta want to repeat this analogy, if I understand it correctly.

Last edited:
Soldato
well first and formost if they are opening the store up to other manufactorers they really need to sort the storeout first.
titles not being listed even when in wisk list view doesnt bowd well

Back
Top Bottom