Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Anyone know how the X1 and PS4 versions compare? Recall Ground Zeros being slightly different in resolution but same frame rate?

Might be able to answer my own question here... MGS V website states:

900P (Final output 1080P), strange that they don't say it's internally scaled like the 360 and PS3 versions...?

Last edited:
I'd imagine it'll be the usual story where XB1 is 10-20% lower resolution which after upscaling is only really noticeable when run alongside the PS4 version. Hopefully there won't be any detrimental frame rate issues, I doubt it given that GZ ran smoothly and the Fox engine seems very well optimised.

To be safe, I'm getting it on PS4 as pretty much all of the preview/reviews seem to be on that system. If Konami are making that available over the XB1 then presumably they feel it gives the best experience, even if the difference is small.

I'd imagine it'll be the usual story where XB1 is 10-20% lower resolution which after upscaling is only really noticeable when run alongside the PS4 version. Hopefully there won't be any detrimental frame rate issues, I doubt it given that GZ ran smoothly and the Fox engine seems very well optimised.

To be safe, I'm getting it on PS4 as pretty much all of the preview/reviews seem to be on that system. If Konami are making that available over the XB1 then presumably they feel it gives the best experience, even if the difference is small.

Plus the neat extra features like iDroid sounds playing through the controller speaker. It'd feel weird to play MGS without a PlayStation controller to me anyway.

Looks incredible, looking forward to this one.

Bit concerned that I haven't played a Metal Gear since 1 though, and the video review above suggests you might get a bit confused with elements of the story.

Despite not having a scooby do about the storyline I too have pre-ordered based on things I've read today. I really enjoyed MGS1, I suppose I can enjoy this if I don't try and piece the story together with the other games.

Amazon 40 quid , will probably get this when I'm back off holiday !

No, thegamecollection for £37.75 so £3.24 cheaper :)

Last edited:
Looks like digital will work out at circa £55 after some cdkeys saving on live/PSN credit.

Pretty ridiculous, especially considering witcher 3 was only £40 digital upon release.

Yeah seen the XO version is £59.99...ridiculous when most of the other main released have been £40-£55.

I like all my games digital as well :(

Little sad that most of the reviews are saying the story is a little lacking, normally a strong point (sometimes too strong!) for MGS, but when it's getting such high praise anyway I still cant wait to fire it up.

Hadn't paid this game any attention until all those 10s started appearing. So then I went and had a go of Ground Zeroes. Quite enjoyed it. My first ever go at MGS. :eek:

Looks like I'm just in time to watch a playthrough of Peace Walker on Twitch, too. Bonus.

Last edited:
I heard mention of microtransactions.

They are trying to dress it up, but it sounds very much like P2W mechanics to me. If you don't wan't to earn the unlocks, just pay for them. :(

I hope the single player is fun though.

Back
Top Bottom