Metro: Exodus (2018)

Associate
How’s the hdr? Getting tired of terrible hdr implementation after getting stung with Resi Evil after RDR2. Digital Foundry clearly don’t like to comment on this due to not wanting to cost the game companies lots of sales. Have held fire on this as DF aren’t objective when it comes to HDR implementation and most other review sites don’t even mention it.

Soldato
How’s the hdr? Getting tired of terrible hdr implementation after getting stung with Resi Evil after RDR2. Digital Foundry clearly don’t like to comment on this due to not wanting to cost the game companies lots of sales. Have held fire on this as DF aren’t objective when it comes to HDR implementation and most other review sites don’t even mention it.

What's wrong with HDR on RDR2? I'm not a HDR user and I've heard there are some problems but didn't check exactly. It looks great to me even without HDR. Is it some sort of fake HDR?

Associate
What's wrong with HDR on RDR2? I'm not a HDR user and I've heard there are some problems but didn't check exactly. It looks great to me even without HDR. Is it some sort of fake HDR?
Yeah fake hdr so there isn’t the dynamic range. Once I got used to playing hdr games with proper implementation (all the Sony first party titles) then going back to sdr just doesn’t cut it anymore. I think once you’ve experienced it on a proper hdr capable tv then then you just miss the extended dynamic range that it gives e.g. way more in the shades between black and the brightest scene. This is my experience anyway. I find the non hdr games just look flat and lacking in comparison. For those that haven’t experienced it try and experience it on a top quality lcd tv like a Sammy qled. Not tried it on an oled though I’m sure that’s great too, just less bright specular highlights.

Soldato
Yeah fake hdr so there isn’t the dynamic range. Once I got used to playing hdr games with proper implementation (all the Sony first party titles) then going back to sdr just doesn’t cut it anymore. I think once you’ve experienced it on a proper hdr capable tv then then you just miss the extended dynamic range that it gives e.g. way more in the shades between black and the brightest scene. This is my experience anyway. I find the non hdr games just look flat and lacking in comparison. For those that haven’t experienced it try and experience it on a top quality lcd tv like a Sammy qled. Not tried it on an oled though I’m sure that’s great too, just less bright specular highlights.

I see. Sucks for HDR users that Rockstar doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it.

Associate
I see. Sucks for HDR users that Rockstar doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it.

Yeah don’t like to whinge but I was really hyped for rdr2 and thinking of trading it. Don’t want to play it if it’s not it’s best as I’ll only play it once. I genuinely never thought hdr would be as impressive as it is. Best thing to happen to Gfx in generations imo.

Soldato
Yeah don’t like to whinge but I was really hyped for rdr2 and thinking of trading it. Don’t want to play it if it’s not it’s best as I’ll only play it once. I genuinely never thought hdr would be as impressive as it is. Best thing to happen to Gfx in generations imo.

HDR in RDR2 is totally broken but in its defence, it looks blooming lovely if you disable it. A proper HDR implementation would be great but it's still one of the most visually impressive titles of this generation.

Soldato
Is this more open world than the other 2? Wasn't a fan of them, they felt a bit linear.

From what I understand it's fairly linear but has larger open world style maps worked in to the story. So not fully open world (which I'm actually happy about) but does have enough to encourage some exploration and experimentation.

Still on the fence. The whole silent protagonist thing seems really dated now doesn't it?

Caporegime
From what I understand it's fairly linear but has larger open world style maps worked in to the story. So not fully open world (which I'm actually happy about) but does have enough to encourage some exploration and experimentation.

Still on the fence. The whole silent protagonist thing seems really dated now doesn't it?

Bah, I was hoping it'd be open world ala Fallout as I love that post apocalyptic setting.

Soldato
Mussssssssst resist!!!!!!

I loved the previous two games, so this one will be a no brainer for me - but I've got a bunch of games to finish, and Amazon want £50! So I'll sit on my hands for a bit, and get it a month or so down the line. Mind you, I'll no doubt end up returning to this thread and watching videos on YT - so I'll no doubt crack under pressure :)

Back
Top Bottom