Mexico (Tulum).....any tips?

Soldato
Wife has booked Mexico, Tulum area.

Will try to get to Chichen Itza, any thing else worth doing or seeing?

Any common scams to avoid or good agencies to use for travel or visits?

Plan to get some Pesos and Dollars, are cards accepted widely though?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Any common scams to avoid

Tulum is largely safe for travel but has recently seen an increase in high profile safety incidents and unrest. Much of the safety issues are connected to cartels, corruption, and the clash of rapid development with local residents. The situation has changed drastically from even a few years ago, so it is best to educate yourself to assess your own risk tolerance with respect to travel to Tulum.

Associate
Xel-ha and Xcaret are both great. They're all inclusive so you get food, drinks etc* in your ticket price. Snorkelling with turtles at Akumal bay is good too. We did Akumal + a cenote tour on the same day, really enjoyable.

We always took dollars for tipping in the resorts, but card was fine most places.

*I'd avoid the western food at the buffets there though lol, had a burger and was rough the next day. If you do get the ***** while you're out there they sell an over the counter antibiotic called treda that fixed me right up. Not sure about the wisdom of taking antibiotics without a Dr input though!

Soldato
www.flaviostours.com we used this guy for our trip to Chichen Itza.

Private minivan with drinks and snacks + video screen and movies. They arranged a personal tour guide for the trip too. This was a few years ago, but we had a great time with him - part of the trip was a swim in a cenote.

Soldato
OP
www.flaviostours.com we used this guy for our trip to Chichen Itza.

Private minivan with drinks and snacks + video screen and movies. They arranged a personal tour guide for the trip too. This was a few years ago, but we had a great time with him - part of the trip was a swim in a cenote.
Just the kind of tip I’m after. Thanks. How much per person did you pay?

Soldato
Just the kind of tip I’m after. Thanks. How much per person did you pay?

We paid $165 per person, but looking at his website the price has gone up to $210; we went in 2019 and were about 3hrs away.

Adults: $210 USD
Children (11 years old & under): $140 USD

"Everything is included in our excursion: transportation to and from your resort, all entrance fees, the guide that will give you the tour at the archaeological site and lunch. There are no hidden fees or extra costs. Throughout the day, we provide snacks and cold beverages (water, soda and beer). Also, we take photos of you and give them to you at the end of the day. Our service is personalized and we do not rush; we go at your pace and want you to enjoy yourselves."

Last edited:
Associate
Xcaret is great, I've been twice. Make sure you stay into the evening for the big show. Xel-ha and Xplore are good too but Xcaret if you only choose one! You could get the ferry over to Cozmel for the day. Goto Playa Del Carmen if you want shops/nightlife. Go to a Cenote, there are plenty you can go and swim in (cold but worth it) You can use the local mini buses that go up and down the highway between Tulum and Cancun to get about cheaply.

You'll be fine with your card. It's pretty civilised around there, I've been 3 times and never had or seen any trouble, I felt perfectly safe wondering about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went on my honeymoon last year.

Stayed in the Radhoo down in Tulum Beach which was lovely, very boutique and chilled, nice pool area and really attentive.

The cenotes are a definite trip, pick whichever you like the look of the most.

On the whole I did enjoy it but it is ridiculously expensive in most places - you wont have any trouble with using your card anywhere, we didn't.

Back
Top Bottom