MGS4, worth getting?

Associate
I just bought a PS3 Slim with Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and Killzone 2 for the pricely sum of £285 (inc. vat, postage etc)

Unfortunately, I missed out on playing MGS2/3 and I've heard many reports of MGS4 being an extremely confusing game to play even if you have played the prequels! I've also heard that the majority of the game is taken up by cutscenes. Can anyone tell me or make an educated guess as to whether it's worth me buying it at some stage given my circumstances?

I'm considering getting it because the only reason for me to get a PS3 was for it's exclusives (already have a good PC and 360) and they don't get much bigger than Metal Gear Solid.

Thanks guys and girls.

Caporegime
Seems a no-brainer, its cheap and a good game you cant get on another platform...

Deffo playing MGS2/3 helps with backstory though...

ps3ud0 :cool:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Never played any of them before but MGS 4 was prob my favourite game of the last 5 year. The only game that is its equal for me is metroid prime.

Soldato
I've played all MG games (even GB versions) and love them all. MGS4 is utterly brilliant, provided you like action-adventure games. Some parts can be pretty tough, but fun.

Tbh, the cut-scenes are not that bad, they certainly are not the 'majority of the game', and that is mainly said by 360 fan boys who have not touched the game at all.

Soldato
You can skip the cutscenes but it'll be difficult to understand the plot. The action segments of MGS4 are actually rather well done, and many people appreciate the increased emphasis on combat in this game. I think it's well worth getting the game - even if you've never played the older games, you can still appreciate the terrific setpieces and setting.

Soldato
I had been avoiding this game because I hadn't ever played the first 3, but if you guys reckon you don't really need to when I may pick it up some time soon :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If you know who Snake is then that's a good enough reason to play it.

Be prepared for long cut scenes, so don't whack it on for 30 minutes while your missus is waiting to go out :o;):D

Associate
I had only played MGS1 (watch a friend play MGS2 for a few hours once as well) but I didnt feel like I was missing much, if anything with the story in 4.

Gametrailers did a pretty good video retrospective of the series for the launch of 4 and is probably the easiest way to learn/understand basis of the stories for any of the games you missed.

Soldato
I've played all MG games (even GB versions) and love them all. MGS4 is utterly brilliant, provided you like action-adventure games. Some parts can be pretty tough, but fun.

Tbh, the cut-scenes are not that bad, they certainly are not the 'majority of the game', and that is mainly said by 360 fan boys who have not touched the game at all.

well lets be honest, there's what, 5-6 hours of cutscenes? its about 50-50% cutscene/gameplay i guess, at least on the first play through. People who say its mostly cutscene arent exagurating much at all.

Associate
OP
I had only played MGS1 (watch a friend play MGS2 for a few hours once as well) but I didnt feel like I was missing much, if anything with the story in 4.

Gametrailers did a pretty good video retrospective of the series for the launch of 4 and is probably the easiest way to learn/understand basis of the stories for any of the games you missed.

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounding like I'll pick it up. Always loved the first game!

Mahn, I'll be sure to have a look for the gametrailers video too, sounds like it could be just the ticket.

Soldato
well lets be honest, there's what, 5-6 hours of cutscenes? its about 50-50% cutscene/gameplay i guess, at least on the first play through. People who say its mostly cutscene arent exagurating much at all.

It's tough to say, after I played through it, the gameplay vs cutscene length seemed weighted more towards the gameplay side, at no point did I ever feel that it was too dragged out (unlike MGS2's latter parts). if you're speed running through it, then yes, it would seem more towards the cutscene side.

it took me 25+ hours on first play through, and from the rough estimates I've seen the total cutscene length is about 8/9 hours. That seems fairly balanced

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It's tough to say, after I played through it, the gameplay vs cutscene length seemed weighted more towards the gameplay side, at no point did I ever feel that it was too dragged out (unlike MGS2's latter parts). if you're speed running through it, then yes, it would seem more towards the cutscene side.

it took me 25+ hours on first play through, and from the rough estimates I've seen the total cutscene length is about 8/9 hours. That seems fairly balanced

25 hours?! If I recall my first playthrough took 12 hrs and I wasn't exactly running, oh and I watched every cutscene.

Did you fall asleep? :D

Soldato
MGS4 is one of the best games of all time.

The series is great, and you may not get all of the story line with just playing 1 and 4, but you definitely will get most of it and one of the most atmospheric parts too... ;)

Back
Top Bottom