Mic won't work in friend's PC..

Permabanned
Hey guys.

Recently my friend purchased a system pre-built system, the specs are as follows,

AMD Athlon™ 64 3200
ASUS A8N-VM - Nforce 410 PCI-Express Mainboard - Micro ATX
1gb Corsair Value RAM
128MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE - TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio-SoundMAX (on-board)

Basically a microphone, that works fine on my PC, won't work on his.

When he tries to plug the mic in to the front port he gets static like sounds, sorta like his PC is picking up something from the mic but his voice is not detected and I couldn't hear him on MSN. It also feels like the mic isn't going in properly.. like it's slightly loose.

When he plugs it in to the back port there is absolutely nothing. No static, nothing.

I've checked in his volume settings to check nothing is on mute or turned down that shouldn't be but the settings seem to be fine. I also downloaded the latest audio updates for his motherboard from the Asus website but that didn't fix anything either.

I was informed on another forum that the problem might be with his mic port being set to output rather than input and to fix this I'd need to run a program called 'Soundmax'. I download this, which comes with the sound updates on the Asus website, but after I have installed them I cannot use the Soundmax control panel and when I hover my mouse over the icon (it appears in the bottom right like the default windows audio controller thing) it says ''No soundmax Audio Present. You cannot use Soundmax audio panel.'

Also in the 'Sound and Audio Devices', in the Voice part, there is something in most of the dropdown menus called 'Audio Render' and when I click the drop down I cannot select anything else.

Really stumped now tbh and would be hugely grateful if anyone could lend a hand.

Thanks.

Soldato
Double-check the cabling from the front audio. Sounds like you've got something the wrong way round- Probably the headphone/ mic wiring, this will produce the effects described.
The reason the back port isn't working is that there must either be a front panel connector or a jumper on certain pins before it does. Again, you want to refer to the manual here.

-Leezer-

Permabanned
OP
The mic will go in more snug if I make sure the jumpers to it are plugged in? Strange but who am I to question.. :D

And he has his speakers plugged in to the back ports... would that rule out the back mic port not being plugged in to the motherboard or not?

Back
Top Bottom