Micro SD w/apapter in Nikon D3300

Associate
Assuming the above will just work? Need more storage and the availability and cost is just much easier to go for MicroSD in an adapter.

It's almost never going to be used for anything needing the speed, just want to know if it'll work.

Caporegime
Probably something like
SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC Memory Card up to 170MB

Fast read and write speeds.

Probably cheaper other brand cards just depends on your choice

And they happen to be on offer from Amazon at the moment.

thanks for the responses.

I'm just curious what speed of card do I really need for this sort of camera if just taking pictures. Not really interested in video but I may take some video shots.

Also how much space will a picture take up? Just wondering what size I should go for. If I was for example to go on holiday for a month would a 64GB card be enough? Probably be days where I don't take any photos and others where I could take loads. I'm just wondering on average how much space would they take up? I'm thinking 10MB so 64GB = 6,000 photos roughly which seems like more than enough. but just wanted to make sure.

edit:

got an answer for my own question it maxes out at 37MB/s so a 50MB/s card is fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just curious what speed of card do I really need for this sort of camera if just taking pictures. Not really interested in video but I may take some video shots.
Use the cards mentioned above (i.e. which I linked to, they are better than what the camera was originally designed for).

Also how much space will a picture take up? Just wondering what size I should go for. If I was for example to go on holiday for a month would a 64GB card be enough? Probably be days where I don't take any photos and others where I could take loads. I'm just wondering on average how much space would they take up? I'm thinking 10MB so 64GB = 6,000 photos roughly which seems like more than enough. but just wanted to make sure.
How much space for a picture? Well that would depend on how you configure the camera. Will you shoot RAW or Jpegs (or both together) and if Jpeg only, what quality? All these factors will determine how much space a picture takes up on your card.

According to Canon, these are the different size pictures you can take:-
(1) Large: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
(2) Medium: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3,456 x 2,304)
(3) Small 1: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2,592 x 1,728)
(4) Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) Small 3: Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5,184 x 3,456)
I guess the next thing to find out is how many Megabytes for each of the above.

As far as I can determine (from this page) the file sizes for RAW files will vary from 24.1Mb (100 ISO) to 37.4Mb (25,600), I suspect it will be safe to say that your raw files will probably be no more than an average of the two, so let's say 30Mb max file size. But if you're going to shoot jpeg, they will be considerably smaller. You mention 10Mb per picture, is that a figure that corresponds with one of the jpeg sizes in the table above? Or a guess? Personally I have no idea, I had a quick google and found nothing. The best I could come up with is this:-
What Size Memory Card Should I Get?
A 16 GB memory card on the Canon T5i can hold approximately 1,000-2,000 photos in JPEG format, depending on the file type (the Canon T5i has five different file sizes to choose from). For most people, 16 GB is a logical size and often more economical than smaller cards. RAW files take up considerably more memory than JPEGs—roughly five to ten times as much—so those who shoot in RAW or HD video should consider a 32 GG, 64 GB, or even 128 GB memory card. This is particularly true for those who use the Canon T5i's RAW + JPEG simultaneous recording feature.

So, it kind of depends on what type of image you going to set up your camera to capture. Will you use software to post process these files? Are they destined for social media? Will you print them? (If yes, what size?).

Caporegime
Use the cards mentioned above (i.e. which I linked to, they are better than what the camera was originally designed for).

How much space for a picture? Well that would depend on how you configure the camera. Will you shoot RAW or Jpegs (or both together) and if Jpeg only, what quality? All these factors will determine how much space a picture takes up on your card.

According to Canon, these are the different size pictures you can take:-

I guess the next thing to find out is how many Megabytes for each of the above.

As far as I can determine (from this page) the file sizes for RAW files will vary from 24.1Mb (100 ISO) to 37.4Mb (25,600), I suspect it will be safe to say that your raw files will probably be no more than an average of the two, so let's say 30Mb max file size. But if you're going to shoot jpeg, they will be considerably smaller. You mention 10Mb per picture, is that a figure that corresponds with one of the jpeg sizes in the table above? Or a guess? Personally I have no idea, I had a quick google and found nothing. The best I could come up with is this:-

So, it kind of depends on what type of image you going to set up your camera to capture. Will you use software to post process these files? Are they destined for social media? Will you print them? (If yes, what size?).

I'm a noob so jpeg probably enough for me on 17.9 MP.

I guessed 10MB from memory at roughly what my wedding photos were like 30MB each and I'm sure that guy used top end gear.

I'm going to go for this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JY5T7T/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VF2YW4KK4OSO&keywords=200gb+micro+sd&qid=1559317630&s=gateway&sprefix=200gb+,aps,284&sr=8-3

it does
  • Up to 100 MB/s transfer speeds
  • Load apps faster with A1 performance class
  • UHS speed class U1 and speed class 10 for Full HD video recording and playback
so I'm hoping it's more than enough for a camera with roughly 30-40 MB/s write speed.

edit:

did some further reading apparently that is the read speed and the write speed is a lot lower.

i will go with the suggestion made above already.

thanks

I'm a noob so jpeg probably enough for me on 17.9 MP.

I guessed 10MB from memory at roughly what my wedding photos were like 30MB each and I'm sure that guy used top end gear.

I'm going to go for this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JY5T7T/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VF2YW4KK4OSO&keywords=200gb+micro+sd&qid=1559317630&s=gateway&sprefix=200gb+,aps,284&sr=8-3

it does
  • Up to 100 MB/s transfer speeds
  • Load apps faster with A1 performance class
  • UHS speed class U1 and speed class 10 for Full HD video recording and playback
so I'm hoping it's more than enough for a camera with roughly 30-40 MB/s write speed.

edit:

did some further reading apparently that is the read speed and the write speed is a lot lower.

i will go with the suggestion made above already.

thanks
Always go for a faster card. If only for transferring pics to pc :)

Will also help with burst shooting, raw pics etc

Back
Top Bottom