Microphone Advise

Soldato
OP
Would recommend the Yeti Blue. Think it's about £110. I have it and love it and have been using it for gaming and work (remote work for Covid) and it's been faultless. I had it on the included desk stand initially and have now moved to an arm.

I’m currently considering this alongside the Elgato Wave 1.

IMO, the Yeti just looks horrible, and so chunky.

To be more constructive, my AT2020 has been a pretty great, solid mic.

Really cheap for what it offers. Does it need software etc?

Soldato
OP
Be careful looking at a AT2020, there is a XLR version which you will need to purchase a audio interface also. But there is a USB version called something along the lines of a AT2020+USB or similar.

Noticed this while browsing. It’s only going to be used for Discord chat while gaming. Black Friday deals are coming and want some options on the table.

Soldato
OP
From a lot of what ive seen online and as you said the Elgato Wave 1 would be a really good option too. They seem to have amazing quality.

Torn between the Wave 1 and Wave 3. I do prefer the touch mute function and the ease of use button/knob. Costly but might get a discount hopefully end of month?

Soldato
OP
Either that or see if there is any YouTubers/ streamers who may be sponsored by Elgato and see if they have a code. I got a pretty mint discount on my Logitech Pro keyboard by checking streamers for sponsor codes.

Not a bad idea, will check again later as I’ve watched a few already from some of the bigger tech tubers.

I just found a code and reduced the Wave 1 to £79.19!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have a couple of Blue Yeti's, they have very good clean sound quality and good pickup. Logitech audio software supports them also, you can add effects like 'Studio Voice' that actually works quite well.

Downside is they are a bit bulky looking now.[/

I was set on the Yeti but after watching a lot of videos I’m liking the Wave from Elgato more at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Black Friday almost upon us and starting to see some early deals and notice the Shure came down elsewhere but still out of my price range. Going to hold out that bit longer on some deals on the Yeti and perhaps the Wave may drop further?

Soldato
OP
Just found the Blue Yeti Blackout Professional for £84.99. So, this or the Elgato Wave:1 for £79.19? I don't like the G Hub however, so this could be a deciding factor unless Sherpa software can still be used?

Any suggestions @EsaT

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tbf thats a close one tbf, from what Ive seen of the 2 online I would go for the Wave. I cant see anything about if it works with Sherpa though and considering Elgato is owned by Corsair and Blue is part of Logitech I doubt it would work with Sherpa.

Thats actually a tough one.

Edit: Elgato does have their own software for the Wave also, it looks like its very in depth and can do a lot. So still may be worth consideration.

I ordered the Wave:1 as the software looks impressive and now I need an arm that's compatible, any suggestions?

Soldato
OP
Any microphone arm you can buy will work, from my experience though don't buy the cheapest possible one. From what ive seen it looks like the base it is on screws off so it can be mounted to a microphone arm.

There is an InnoGear one on Amazon which looks alright, it's currently £37.99

It looks identical to the one on Argos for £13.00? May have to get creative with cable management too.

Soldato
OP
It might be the same arm but branded different. I just had a quick search on Amazon just to see.

Cable management is easy with an arm, just use zip ties or the velcro equivalent to tie the cable along the arm. Thats how I did it with my XLR cable.

Pretty good with a Zip Tie lately! Going on the bay to have a peak now, don't mind spending a few quid to get a decent one.

Soldato
OP
Use them tasty savings to put towards a nicer arm. I would recommend it massively, I regret I cheaped out on the arm (£8 from the bay) and its awful and ive been too lazy to buy a new one.

Currently looking at a Thronmax Caster-Boom Arm, looks good a tad expensive but looks worth it.

Soldato
OP
Think im going to have to keep a look out for a new microphone also on Black Friday, my AT2020 has done me good for 5 years but now I have the upgrade itch. Damn this thread making me want to upgrade :D

Upgrade itch bite me ages ago and haven’t stopped since.

I initially moved from Astro A50 to DT770 and a G6. I did think about a mod mic but wanted something more complete for the future. Overall I’m happy so far with the choices made, just need a boom arm and set.

Back
Top Bottom