Microsoft acquire Activision

Caporegime
I would have agreed but having recently played all of them in a mini-marathon, I enjoyed 4 and 5 more than the original trilogy! :eek:

You're dead inside :p

But

You're talking about SP and in those terms Gears always has a large uptake to play the campaigns, then they go play a better online shooter. This was visible during the DLC for Gears 5 and the hive buster add on. The point was to direct people to escape mode. People rattled through the DLC and ignored escape mode. Escape mode is the best mode in the game and a real challenge but has been abandoned because people didn't play it, they have a view already what gears MP is and don't bother.

4 and 5 better than 1-3. Come on, Kaits story and JD's arc is appalling! Kait especially was shoe horned in with no character development to push the female lead narrative. That said, I don't think 1-3 are great games either but because they pushed the limits of the 360 visually it was always graphics over content. Gears 5 is also visually stunning but would be one of the worst open world shooters I've ever played. The franchise is in serious trouble.

Associate
Looks like this will go through from what I’ve been reading tbh, I don’t care either way. Own both consoles but do play more on the ps5 that’s where most of the games play better, that may ofcourse change if people plan on ditching the ps5 for a xbox and the population of gamers are on Xbox then devs might spend abit more time developing the games to take advantage of the extra power Xbox has to offer.

Caporegime
It is but Microsoft do need them onboard Playstation player base on games like cod and battlefield are higher than those on Xbox, pc I'm not so sure.

I can't see how Playstation can stop it now but they are literally coming out with everything, I agree it is embarrassing
Funny how Sony were more than happy to pay Activision millions to gatekeep game modes or other content to PlayStation for as long as a year though!

Associate
Equally as embarrassing is this gang of gamers who are independently suing in California to block the acquisition. Basically they're a bunch of Sony fanboys who don't want their beloved brand losing out to MS. Hopefully their amended lawsuit will be thrown out as quickly as their original one was.

Associate
Equally as embarrassing is this gang of gamers who are independently suing in California to block the acquisition. Basically they're a bunch of Sony fanboys who don't want their beloved brand losing out to MS. Hopefully their amended lawsuit will be thrown out as quickly as their original one was.

Haha didn't know about this one! Not sure what they think they will gain from this! I don't think anything stops the deal now it's basically over the line from what I've seen

Caporegime
I can’t see that many people changing platforms for just one game. Xbox is not on the radar in markets outside of USA/UK and I can’t see this acquisition turning the tables. They’d probably need to buy EA instead for FIFA.

Last edited:
Associate
I can’t see that many people changing platforms for just one game. Xbox is not on the radar in markets outside of USA/UK and I can’t see this acquisition turning the tables. They’d probably need to buy EA instead for FIFA.
Don't think they care about that anymore, they just want people paying for game pass, and whatever their subscriber target is for that service hasn't been met.

It's the Spotify and Netflix playbook. Even if you never own an Xbox there's nothing stopping you running the game on your phone or browser provided your internet is good enough. And of course being able to play most of the library on your Xbox or PC...

You don't want to pay for Cod Multiplayer? Starfield? Elder Scrolls? just subscribe for the month or year... and get your fix.

As for the FIFA argument they should have made that play back in the Xbox 360 days.
I don't think they'll be able to acquire another major publisher after this, just minority stakes with more influence than they should have perhaps.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn’t buy an Xbox for call of duty it would take a bit more than just that franchise.
But you would probably pay for a subscription for access to the game on a platform you potentially already own. (PC)

As long as they get your money one way or another they'll be content. Which is exactly why its never leaving playstation.
They'll probably do a Starfield or Redfall and have a new game in development become exclusive.

Caporegime
Microsoft keep trying to buy up studios to buy the old games that most people have moved on from. I'd much rather they had studios actually be creative with new IP.They bought up Gears and Halo when they were no longer system sellers. Epic couldn't believe their luck with Gears. It's nothing but remakes and remasters while clinging on to the last generation instead of cutting it free with Series X only games. I don't see who wins out of this, Game pass will just greatly increase in price to fund another paint by numbers game series.

Associate
Wouldn't surprise me people making the shift when it's announced officially tbh but that's there call

Back
Top Bottom