Microsoft releases Security Essentials today

Soldato
Finally, after a year-long development phase, Microsoft Security Essentials have been publicly released. If you can't wait to get your hands on Microsoft's latest security software, you don't need to wait any longer.

In June, a public-beta was offered, and the download limit was reached within 24 hours. It will be absolutely free for all users Windows XP, Vista and 7, both in 32bit and 64bit flavors — as long as you have genuine copy. Microsoft will not bundle it with Windows 7, though, when it's released on October 22nd, 2009.

"Consumers have told us that they want the protection of real-time security software but we know that too many are either unwilling or unable to pay for it, and so end up unprotected," said Amy Barzdukas, general manager for consumer security at Microsoft. "With Microsoft Security Essentials, consumers can get high-quality protection that is easy to get and easy to use – and it won't get in their way."

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/09/29/microsoft-releases-security-essentials-today

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i will still use nod32 on my main system as i have a year to run, however this is a very good free bit of kit, i use it on my laptop and store it on my USB key, for me its the lightest and best free AV i have used.

Soldato
Not available in your country or region
You appear to be in a country or region where the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta is unavailable.

This beta is available only to customers in the United States, Israel (English only), People's Republic of China (Simplified Chinese only) and Brazil (Brazilian Portuguese only).

Guess it will change?

Soldato
Been using the beta in the last few weeks. I have to say I'm very, very impressed.

I had a little warning to say that it had not completed a full system scan a few days ago. I then ran the scan and noticed that it actually unpacked all of my zip files and scanned them. Nothing special you might think. But then it moved on to my ISO's!

I can't think of a better product for free out there. I hit a few old disks that I knew contained virus's at it and it found them. I don't even notice the resource usage (but then even if it used 1GB RAM I wouldn't really notice that).

M.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It is a very good app, some betas had a CPU resource timing issue but that is all fixed it seems. Will migrate from AVAST to x64 Security Essentials on all my machines shortly.

Soldato
OP
i ran this on a pc that had avg updated and running, it found loads of spyware and a 2 viruses that avg had spotted. to have this on a usb stick that you can dump on anyone's pc is great for those of us that do call out jobs for all the friends and families under the sun!

Soldato
just installed it and i like it.

i don't have any virus software on my pc and when i done a scan it only found one virus which was not important anyway.

thanks for the heads up op.

Soldato
I've been running it for a month or so now. It is actually very very good. I had the BETA which quickly got upgraded to the full version within a week or so. Very unobtrusive, seems to be an excellent product.

Soldato
you can get it from the likes of download and sopedia and then use windows update to get the latest version, however there is no point as these are beta's but tea time tonight the full and final release will be out

Thought he'd found a link for the official release, have had the beta installed for ages now :)

Soldato
Been using this for a while, found it to be pretty good.

2 issues really: I find it a bit annoying it uses Windows Update for its definition updates, that could be handled within the program itself surely. Second is the MSN file scanning, also annoying when the MSE window pops up after scanning the file.

Soldato
I was thinking of switching to this from Avast, however correct me if im wrong but apparently Mse dosnt have web filtering cabability like Avast?

Also Avast version 5 should be out soon with a new interface and an improved anti virus engine.

Back
Top Bottom