**** Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Thread ****

Caporegime
Yep, I think significantly strengthening the current app store is a given before Windows S starts emerging. Let's hope they are on the ball with it as we speak (probably not).

This has been the case since 2012 though.
It's not getting any better.

I charged up my Surface 2 yesterday.
Apart from being nice hardware wise and being able to consume media on netflix, it's just useless.

My Z3+ can do infinitely more.

Last edited:
Associate
The Surface Pro makes complete sense because it uses full Windows, it's actually a great piece of hardware. The Laptop should have just been the same without the need for an OS upgrade.

Soldato
What purpose does Windows S serve? It's targeted at education but is basically unusable due to a lack of software outside of Office (Which as of this date is unusable on Windows S given it's not on the store).

And we have imaging for setting up multiple machines in the exact same way. Windows S wouldn't do this?

MS can't win because they've released an almost 1,000 pound laptop with a cutdown Windows, as a ready bought device it's dead in the water. I get you can install Windows 10 Pro on it, but it should never be running Windows S.

I can see Windows S being used in portable devices with Office (When it's on the store) such as netbooks, as that'd make them quite sleek devices, but that's where its usefulness ends. But this is for cheap devices, not a high end laptop.

And I like the hardware for me, but there's not a chance we'd be spending 1K on student laptops lol.

Again..are you being made to use this...is where you work force rolling them out to you?

Caporegime
Again..are you being made to use this...is where you work force rolling them out to you?

We wouldn't roll it out because it's unfit for purpose due to a lack of software.

Microsoft is the one aiming this at education. I don't think it serves any purpose because of the reasons of software. Other people who work in that industry think the same.

You've yet to actually suggest any reasons for why windows S will be a success for education

Soldato
We wouldn't roll it out because it's unfit for purpose due to a lack of software.

Microsoft is the one aiming this at education. I don't think it serves any purpose because of the reasons of software. Other people who work in that industry think the same.

You've yet to actually suggest any reasons for why windows S will be a success for education
Why would I waste my time thinking about other things I don't have a reason to use?

Associate
He's the target demographic for the product and can't see any reason to use it. Surely this is the real issue there, why would you call that moaning?

Caporegime
I would seem to be arguing with someone who says they work in education and is moaning about a product they will never see.
Good luck to our children.

Because I'm working in the targeted field of the operating system and can only see very very limited application of it.

Bringing out products that don't serve an actual purpose is pointless.

Soldato
Well time will tell, apart form the fact you don't seem to know about the whole more or less hidden back end educations suits in store etc.
They will probably do just fine, just like Surface did after people saying they dont see the point.
Considering its not aimed JUST solely exclusively at schools, any student can use them, any regular laptop user can use them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Surface is a bit of a generic term, given it covers the complete brand.
Windows ARM devices flopped as expected because Windows RT was limited.
Surface 1 and 2 both failed.

The higher end Surface devices may be successful, but I didn't expect any less, although I bet their overall market presence is miles behind any mac competitor.

And again, why would students want a cut down windows? There are already cheap full Windows devices.

The people who may buy a cheap Windows S devices are probably the same people who'd buy the cheap chromebooks.

Also, I don't think you're really understanding the application problem. If any program that is used College wide isn't on the store, then that's it as far as a rollout can go. An existence of education apps doesn't help when you need specific software.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surface is a bit of a generic term, given it covers the complete brand.
Windows ARM devices flopped as expected because Windows RT was limited.
Surface 1 and 2 both failed.

The higher end Surface devices may be successful, but I didn't expect any less, although I bet their overall market presence is miles behind any mac competitor.

And again, why would students want a cut down windows? There are already cheap full Windows devices.

The people who may buy a cheap Windows S devices are probably the same people who'd buy the cheap chromebooks.

Also, I don't think you're really understanding the application problem. If any program that is used College wide isn't on the store, then that's it as far as a rollout can go. An existence of education apps doesn't help when you need specific software.
Well Surface 1 & 2 clearly didnt fail enough in that they kept the name and the line going, it was RT, thouse in pure tablet for factor, I had no issues with RT apart form it being down on power.
Mac isnt on Tablet form though, its still just iOS.
Students may not want a cut down os, they have that option anyways, Schools colleges, business might what a fully secure included hosing for hardware roll-outs. If you have worked in a company of thousands nationally, you will see how maddening it can be.
These are the same students that can seemingly afford to by Mac Books no problem. Havn not once seen a Chrombook in the wild and certainly not used in a single business aspect. Plyaed around with a Pixel and it become obvious why.
Theres a different side to the application, a whole education store not accessible on the general store I believe

Soldato
Well we'll see, I think Windows S will go the same way as Windows RT ; Unloved.

all it takes is for one critical application not to have been ported over to the store and everyone will fall back to Pro

example, how will the Java web plugin work? Honest question, I really don't know. Understand that Edge is always the default browser but what I don't know is if Java is available through the store and if it will hook into edge (or another browser from the store)

Man of Honour
could be a more interesting event, may 23rd china conference. "Will show the world what's next", Surface team is there, but no live stream. No one seems to know what it's about
see if it lives up to the hype or not.

Shame windows for arm was pushed back to redstone 3, that's what I really want. Arm devices and price, which runs win32 apps. yes please.

Associate
Been tempted by a Surface 4 since it came out but never quite been able to justify it. If they announce a 5 and it's a big improvement at that event I might well have to go for it.

Back
Top Bottom