**** Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Thread ****

Caporegime
Would super battery life not be one of those and presumed cheaper cost than X86 chips?

They're already pretty cheap bar the higher end stuff. You could get W10 tablets from 100 pound.
I honestly can't see a market for them, people who buy Windows tablets now will continue to do so. Those who don't won't suddenly buy them because of ARM.

Associate
They're already pretty cheap bar the higher end stuff. You could get W10 tablets from 100 pound.
I honestly can't see a market for them, people who buy Windows tablets now will continue to do so. Those who don't won't suddenly buy them because of ARM.

The market isn't just consumers. I know at work they would be massively useful if the price dropped and battery life increased.

Soldato

not with 24 hour battery life you cant. cheap windows tablets are very hit and miss. I have one, doesnt have enough free space to update windows :rolleyes: :p

Caporegime
not with 24 hour battery life you cant. cheap windows tablets are very hit and miss. I have one, doesnt have enough free space to update windows :rolleyes: :p

I don't think that'll change with ARM. Cheap ARM android tablets are poor.
ARM's obviously more efficient. But having owned Windows tablets for years, through the Surface RT to RT2 and Surface 3 Pro, I really can't see ARM on Windows doing anything. Given MS have given up WP10 too.

Soldato
I'd have no issues rolling out Win10S ARM tablets at work, as long as I can RDP into the server we have and have Office most of our road warriors would be happy enough with them and not know the difference between x86 and ARM...

Soldato
ARM's obviously more efficient. But having owned Windows tablets for years, through the Surface RT to RT2 and Surface 3 Pro, I really can't see ARM on Windows doing anything. Given MS have given up WP10 too.

Looking at the trend in performance improvements, it won't be long before ARM chips are significantly outperforming even mobile i7 chips. Why wouldn't Microsoft swap if ARM chips are more efficient, more powerful and cheaper?

Caporegime
Looking at the trend in performance improvements, it won't be long before ARM chips are significantly outperforming even mobile i7 chips. Why wouldn't Microsoft swap if ARM chips are more efficient, more powerful and cheaper?

If the hypothetical situation of all around better chips occurs, without any drawbacks that hamper the end user experience, then it'd be silly not to change. But at the moment that's not reality.

Man of Honour
there's also the cost issue and what is bundled with the chip. ARM is far superior to anything Intel has in that regard, with ARM you don't need to buy a dozen different components and slot them together. Its all on a single and cheap chip. This is one of several reasons why the cheap atom based tablets are just dire.
Combin that with the work MS have done on making all x86 software work on arm and the much faster development rate of arm compared to intel, and there's a clear reason why arm is still needed.

Man of Honour
i think they can . its just that they have blown everyone away since the first gen i7 was launched almost 10 years ago
oh yes they absolutely can(but its about if they will and fast enough), but as you say they have been lazy. It's been a war for a few years now and arm definitely outpacing intel.
Arm needed to get more grunt, while Intel needs to reduce power consumption and add more systems onto the chip.

Soldato
Do u think ARM is more of a threat to intel then AMD?

They're different kinds of threat. AMD is never going to replace Intel completely but they can take business away from Intel quickly and easily. ARM has the potential to destroy Intel but it's going to take time for companies like Microsoft and Apple to move their desktop operating systems off x86.

Apple stuck with PowerPC long after it was clear that Intel chips were faster and cheaper. They did eventually move though.

Soldato

The new 8th Gen i7's are finally going 4 core 8 thread the same as the desktop counterparts, so cant see ARM catching them up in the grunt stakes, however for people that just want email, web browsing, office, and youtube etc I cant see them caring about ARM/x86, they'll only care about what money is left in their pockets.

Associate
A few days with my SP4 and there are quite a few issues still apparently. My volume seems somewhat erratic, the speakers like to pop (a lot), the screen seems to auto-adjust in tiny amounts despite being told not to. The stand seems somewhat crap for something they knew we'd be using a lot. Since beginning to type this, something has happened to my volume so 50% is now 0%. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom