Microsoft Surface Pro X

Caporegime
Hi.

Considering buying the "cheap" 8GB Ram versions of one of these through work, as it looks like it would suit my needs, especially with LTE capability.

It's an ARM chip though and apparently only supports 32bit programs, even though the chip is 64bit?

I know it's got Windows and Office will work, but will there be a YouTube app, Netflix etc as well - it's not just going to be used for work :)

It should be fine, it's meant to run most of the apps from the MS app store. 64bit apps just need to be rebuilt against the arm64 target then they can work. No idea how much developer or software uptake there will be for this but most common stuff will be fine.

Pretty sure you can just run them from browser anyway if the specific apps don't work.

Looks nice but I doubt the ARM supported apps will be there as the windows store is still a bit of a ghost town.

Granted it does have x86 support/emulation but this will come with a massive performance hit and probably a fair number of bugs.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole personally until it's been out for a year or two and Microsoft prove they're actually serious about Windows on ARM this time!

I would not pay the price Microsoft are asking for a arm based machine, just buy a normal surface Pro.

They are not much heavier or smaller and have the cup grunt which is much needed in windows based environment.

microsoft need to drop £400-£500 from its price to even consider it

Last edited:
Has anyone bought one of these? In the flesh it's a lovely device... I don't "need it" but the 8GB 128 SSD isn't too bad and can be easily upgraded, for.note taking, web, office 365 and media it looks decent...

Has anyone bought one of these? In the flesh it's a lovely device... I don't "need it" but the 8GB 128 SSD isn't too bad and can be easily upgraded, for.note taking, web, office 365 and media it looks decent...

I am seriously considering one but unfortunately this thing is just an office machine and surf web machine and with very little use. Its seriously limited by arm. I need to run some mathematical software that will not run on it.
Its too early to judge it yet but microsoft are asking for too much for it and what it offers. Looks amazing and that is what surface book should look like.

Hi.

Considering buying the "cheap" 8GB Ram versions of one of these through work, as it looks like it would suit my needs, especially with LTE capability.

It's an ARM chip though and apparently only supports 32bit programs, even though the chip is 64bit?

I know it's got Windows and Office will work, but will there be a YouTube app, Netflix etc as well - it's not just going to be used for work :)

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole - and most reviewers seem to agree.

I use the Intel-based Surface Pro 4, and absolutely love it. But the ARM stuff just simply isn't ready for primetime, tbh. Just use a mobile phone for your Internet connection whilst out and about on a regular Surface Pro. They have some nice deals on the new i5/8GB/128GB SSD models at the moment.

I like the form-factor of the Surface X, and I guess we'll be getting that in the Intel Surface Pro 8 next year, along with Tiger-lake CPUs. That's what I'm waiting for before upgrading.

If I was buying now, it would be the SP7 spec I mentioned above, which is ~£800 (although £933 with the type cover keyboard, which is a must, imho.) Better machine and works out ~£200 cheaper than the X (with the same keyboard.)

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole - and most reviewers seem to agree.

I use the Intel-based Surface Pro 4, and absolutely love it. But the ARM stuff just simply isn't ready for primetime, tbh. Just use a mobile phone for your Internet connection whilst out and about on a regular Surface Pro. They have some nice deals on the new i5/8GB/128GB SSD models at the moment.

I like the form-factor of the Surface X, and I guess we'll be getting that in the Intel Surface Pro 8 next year, along with Tiger-lake CPUs. That's what I'm waiting for before upgrading.

If I was buying now, it would be the SP7 spec I mentioned above, which is ~£800 (although £933 with the type cover keyboard, which is a must, imho.) Better machine and works out ~£200 cheaper than the X (with the same keyboard.)

could not agree any more, phones are overpriced and the surface x is even more overpriced. Its functionality is so limited specially right now with so few working real world applications. Maybe in few years, I have see reports of problems with compilers on the visual studio package.

Back
Top Bottom