*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I doubt anything UX based will get slower. DWM etc use the GPU to draw everything, and almost every PC is on at least a SATA SSD now compared to when 10 came out, with the vast majority of machines on NVMe boot drives especially laptops.

The only things that will realistically change is how smooth animation transitions are. Like those small frame drops due to lack of optimisation will get fine tuned over time as GPU drivers mature and DWM backends get even more efficient.

in all these years I have had the same base install of Windows since Vista and have done an in=place upgrade. I have only ever noticed Windows animations and speed get better over time even though there have been more animations and stuff added to each new Windows. Each major gen I've upgraded something major too like GFX or SSD or added more RAM.

Permabanned
OP
Well that's me done for win 11. Tried it, didn't like it. I have rolled a fresh install on all the devices that had 11 on back to 10 LTSC 1809.

I couldn't get used to the right click, and things took much longer to find more clicks to do things. Once 10 LTSC 21H2 comes out I will be shifting over to that shortly.

Never mind.

Note the word "idle" in both posts!

Idle is nothing, go stress test them bitches and see what happens.

Associate
Well that's me done for win 11. Tried it, didn't like it. I have rolled a fresh install on all the devices that had 11 on back to 10 LTSC 1809.

I couldn't get used to the right click, and things took much longer to find more clicks to do things. Once 10 LTSC 21H2 comes out I will be shifting over to that shortly.

Never mind.

Idle is nothing, go stress test them bitches and see what happens.
... but you can fix the right click menu, I even shared a link showing how.

Man of Honour
Well I'll never go back to 10, hell using a machine with 10 feels wrong now. StartIsBack has given me back more control than I had on even 10 lol. And it looks a lot better (inconsistent dark theme withstanding but that existed on 10 too...).

Man of Honour
But startisback and others like it are natively integrated to the point they aren't run as third party apps, there isn't even a start menu programs listing for it because of that as it doesn't run like a standalone app.

Anyway, people used tools on 10 to get stuff back they lost from 7, the benefit of startisback is that it gives you a lot more scope to get tweaked just how you want, far beyond 10, even though it works on 10 too to give more control. Uses zero system resources as well because of the first bit mentioned.

I consider it like installing an alternative launcher app on Android, it replaces the often always lacklustere OEM launcher from Google/Samsung/Sony etc and allows you to get the look and feel you want without sacrificing anything.

Although yes there are those on that side of things who say "well why isn't it like that out the box, should not need to install a new launcher" - Correct but here we are, with ample choice to make our devices behave how we have always wanted thankfully.

Unless you're an Apple user in which case you get what you get :p

Permabanned
OP
But startisback and others like it are natively integrated to the point they aren't run as third party apps, there isn't even a start menu programs listing for it because of that as it doesn't run like a standalone app.

Anyway, people used tools on 10 to get stuff back they lost from 7, the benefit of startisback is that it gives you a lot more scope to get tweaked just how you want, far beyond 10, even though it works on 10 too to give more control. Uses zero system resources as well because of the first bit mentioned.

I consider it like installing an alternative launcher app on Android, it replaces the often always lacklustere OEM launcher from Google/Samsung/Sony etc and allows you to get the look and feel you want without sacrificing anything.

Although yes there are those on that side of things who say "well why isn't it like that out the box, should not need to install a new launcher" - Correct but here we are, with ample choice to make our devices behave how we have always wanted thankfully.

We really shouldn't have to, Microsoft is advanced enough and should get it right first time with options to the end user. It's as though they have only a team of 2 people working on each section of the OS or something.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I installed it last night and so far I like it, to be honest can't really see what all the fuss is about, just feels likes a reskinned Windows 10, but a little more, modern?
Yep. That why I have it only on my laptop and did not bother installing it on my main rig even though I did a clean install of windows recently. I will install it in 6-12 months, as there is nothing new that is a must have for me.

Soldato
I had a washed out background with auto HDR on as well so turned it off (Back on W10 now tho as was not a fan of W11)

I tried Windows 11 again after initially saying I wasn't going to, start menu isn't much an issue due to Stardock's alternative, but HDR is just as dodgy, and my Galaxy Buds won't connect in Windows 11 for some reason.

Is there anymore big new features to Windows 11? It seems Windows 10 is still going to get updates, hopefully it'll get Auto HDR? Really tempted to rollback to Windows 10 for a bit.

Soldato
Getting serious random mouse issues Windows 11 otherwise would be fine. G502 Wireless both with default driver and Logitech software and G502 wired older default driver and lgs installed. Wireless would just stop moving not disconnected but would not resume until turned off and on via the mouse. Did this connected with USB as well. The g502 older wired version not stopping but randomly just slows down and gets jerky and occasionally disappears. Only happens on Win 11 very strange issue.

Soldato
Do you have to wait to be invited to upgrade to W11??

I had to enable TPM in my BIOS on my main PC and while the PC Health Check thingy is now telling me my specs are good enough, there isn't an "upgrade now" button within Windows Update like there is on my laptop?? (and there is still a message within the update program saying my PC doesn't meet all the requirements???)

Soldato
Do you have to wait to be invited to upgrade to W11??

I had to enable TPM in my BIOS on my main PC and while the PC Health Check thingy is now telling me my specs are good enough, there isn't an "upgrade now" button within Windows Update like there is on my laptop?? (and there is still a message within the update program saying my PC doesn't meet all the requirements???)
Use the Windows 11 installation Assistant below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows11

Soldato
Well windows update is now giving me the option to upgrade to windows 11 but not sure what to do, wait or just upgrade because i am going to do it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom