*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I would not mind giving it a burn in a VM actually, where are people getting the ISO from?
Search Google for the image name, which is "21996.1.210529-1541.co_release_CLIENT_CONSUMER_x64FRE_en-us.iso" and HiDrive. The HiDrive site maxed out my connection last night.

Soldato
The management features is where you've hit the nail on the head there. I feel for anyone who has to manage the dogs dinner that is group policy and whatever the other half cocked newer implementations of that are. It's a nightmare if you want to deploy a standard start menu since you've got traditional executables, PWA's, you can't limit access to the MS Store other than deny all together unless you have some other business licencing to create your own curated MS Store entries.

I do mine like this now, since you can switch off the full application list so it becomes a toggle option instead. Not finished installing everything I want yet but this full screen start basically just splits productivity and entertainment.

https://imgur.com/a/xbsq6nl
NbDLKmH.png

That looks horrific. Everyone should have my much better / nicer Start menu

Rhl2BoL.png

Permabanned
OP
The management features is where you've hit the nail on the head there. I feel for anyone who has to manage the dogs dinner that is group policy and whatever the other half cocked newer implementations of that are. It's a nightmare if you want to deploy a standard start menu since you've got traditional executables, PWA's, you can't limit access to the MS Store other than deny all together unless you have some other business licencing to create your own curated MS Store entries.

I do mine like this now, since you can switch off the full application list so it becomes a toggle option instead. Not finished installing everything I want yet but this full screen start basically just splits productivity and entertainment.

https://imgur.com/a/xbsq6nl
NbDLKmH.png

full screen start 8 - no thank you, horrible ui.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something I'm not liking is the loss of additional toolbars, such as Quick Launch. I've always made the taskbar icons small and put the quick launch icons underneath open windows. :(

Associate
I'm not really a fan of the 1st look but that might be due to they all seem to be on small screens and all the UI elements fill like the whole screen. That startmenu better scale to not fill 80% of my screen when I open it on a 48" 4K display.

Associate
Played around with this a little last night. Despite running in a VM, it felt very snappy. The new sounds were nice and I liked the new icons.

My biggest concern is them messing with the start menu / taskbar. I'm happy with the Windows 10 one, though I preferred the Windows 7 style. I'm not a fan of what they're doing here though.

I also hope they don't try and push more ads, web results and recommendations down our throats.

Soldato
Nah. They wanted to drop interations from the name, I believe that. That would have brought the name in line with other software - macOS, iOS, a large number of Linux distros etc. Nothing inherently wrong with that. I also believe they changed their mind because of the negativity associated with windows 10. And that's fine too - they're allowed to change their minds, after all it was 6 years ago when we were told 10 would be the last. A lot happens in 6 years.

If that makes you think I don't have my head screwed on then...don't care :p

Back
Top Bottom