*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Soldato
Winrar now has a beta release (6.10 beta 1) that provides integration within the right click context menu of Windows 11.
I have installed it and returned back to the W11 default context menu, the integration works fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
There’s lot of places where 11 is still reporting at 10…

The never combine task bar or lack thereof is annoying me. As is the lack of show all task try icons all in one go. Oh, and the registry hack to change the taskbar icons to small makes the clock, date and what not off the screen.

Any third party utilise that can correct this?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Never Combine is something I never thought about until someone here and on reddit mentioned it, and I saw it was an option in StartIsBack too so turned it on and I really like it. Like how the icon stack dynamically expands as new windows open making nice use of otherwise wastes taskbar width space. And seeing titles of opened apps/windows in the bar too.

I have enabled all task tray icons too, mentioned how to do it earlier in the thread. Windows has the option still to show all like on Windows 10, just tick that and any icons that do happen to overflow just drag them out of overflow and from then on those apps will always be in the main tray too.

Might as well go back to windows 10 if you going to start and modify it to look like windows 10.
Slow down mister. It's not about the look., it's about form vs function. The current right click menu is not fit for purpose from a high usage point of view.

There are many good things about 11, but also many bad things. The slower to respond right click menu is one of those bad things. When this improves (there is no registry edit to change this) I will switch back.... But until then I much prefer an instant right click menu and not have to wait for the noticeable delay for it to appear as it's pretty obvious for someone who uses context menus a lot for managing files between drives etc.

Video showing what I mean: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qIfwh0ofBJ9GZkmcjg9wriRNkNmPVX8/view?usp=sharing

Things like this might not be noticed by some as these things don't even register to the average person, but they are still annoying to many and is very evident just casually browsing Windows subreddits and other forums and even this thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've resorted to this clunky workaround for now. My Start Menu "groups" are still two extra clicks away.

Win11-All-Apps.png

Even this is harder to setup than it should be. The 'All apps' list deduplicates shortcuts, so shortcuts will only ever appear once in the hierarchy. Shortcuts in the the User Profile (%AppData%) take precedence over those in the Common Start Menu (%ProgramData%).

I am now using MiniBin as replacement for the lost functionality of a Taskbar Toolbar for the Recycle Bin.

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-SZSxygzY&ab_channel=TroubleChute

Just found this video on optimising Windows 11 for gaming and it seems very comprehensive, I don't know if everybody agrees with everything in it.
He does mention defragging an SSD which I thought was wrong though.
I have also seem remarks about Windows 11 automatically updating the BIOS in the update process, but not a way of stopping it, any ideas on that.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Defrag an SSD :D

Edit*

And here is my final Win11 desktop layout. I think it's perfect now and in a way even better than I had it in Windows 10. I need to organise the All Programs list in the start menu but I am in no rush to do that as the pinned items are my most used apps that aren't already pinned to the taskbar so for now All Programs can remain one massive list of everything installed.

Win11_LondonWall_StartIsBack.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Never Combine is something I never thought about until someone here and on reddit mentioned it, and I saw it was an option in StartIsBack too so turned it on and I really like it. Like how the icon stack dynamically expands as new windows open making nice use of otherwise wastes taskbar width space. And seeing titles of opened apps/windows in the bar too.

I have enabled all task tray icons too, mentioned how to do it earlier in the thread. Windows has the option still to show all like on Windows 10, just tick that and any icons that do happen to overflow just drag them out of overflow and from then on those apps will always be in the main tray too.

Slow down mister. It's not about the look., it's about form vs function. The current right click menu is not fit for purpose from a high usage point of view.

There are many good things about 11, but also many bad things. The slower to respond right click menu is one of those bad things. When this improves (there is no registry edit to change this) I will switch back.... But until then I much prefer an instant right click menu and not have to wait for the noticeable delay for it to appear as it's pretty obvious for someone who uses context menus a lot for managing files between drives etc.

Video showing what I mean: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qIfwh0ofBJ9GZkmcjg9wriRNkNmPVX8/view?usp=sharing

Things like this might not be noticed by some as these things don't even register to the average person, but they are still annoying to many and is very evident just casually browsing Windows subreddits and other forums and even this thread.

:p hopefully fixes come in time though so lets wait and see.

Soldato
Well had my first serious Windows 11 problem .installing styrim mods with nexus mod manager.windows 11 went slow as he'll finally got it restarted to get a corruption error something about get finally get into Windows. Eventually viewer says the device ,/device/hardisk4/has a bad block . Any ideas ppl faulty nvme maybe.

Cheers for reading this .

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That does not sound like a fault of Windows, you just got unlucky in that your SSD has developed a back block. Assuming you've had over provisioning enabled then just let the SSD run its garbage collection TRIM service and the allocation of OP should take over the bad block/blocks.

Use the SSD maker's software to scan the drive for errors and it should go from there.

Soldato
Tried to upgrade after enabling TPM/Secure Boot (after using the PC Health Check) but it gets to about 30% and then fails and starts to undo the changes. Apparently a bug they're working on.

Might try a clean install tomorrow. It's only my gaming PC and they're all on separate drives.

Back
Top Bottom