*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Tried to upgrade after enabling TPM/Secure Boot (after using the PC Health Check) but it gets to about 30% and then fails and starts to undo the changes. Apparently a bug they're working on.

Might try a clean install tomorrow. It's only my gaming PC and they're all on separate drives.

What error do you get when it restarts?

Permabanned
Is there anything in Windows 11 that is better than Windows 10?

Like, for instance, the support of high-DPI screens, Ultra-High resolutions, scaling, etc?
New DirectX, better gaming performance, more optimisations?

Anything to be worthwhile to update to Windows 11 other than the simple naming change?

Caporegime

Like, for instance, the support of high-DPI screens, Ultra-High resolutions, scaling, etc?
New DirectX, better gaming performance, more optimisations?

Anything to be worthwhile to update to Windows 11 other than the simple naming change?

Not found anything yet. Just a reskin with a crap UI.

Soldato
So the purpose of this was only to force older PCs out?

M$ fooked up when they said that if your machine runs windows 10 then they would support it forever. A lot of really old machines will run win 10, so it's not realistically profitable to support old machines with drivers and software for 15 year old hardware.

Soldato
DirectStorage was going to be the big one, but Microsoft did a U-turn and have said it will come to Windows 10 after all.
Other than that it is slim pickings:
  • Improvements to snap, virtual desktops and multi-monitor support
  • Auto HDR for non-HDR games (also available as a preview for Windows 10)
  • Enhanced security (mostly enabled through the hardened system requirements)
  • Smaller updates (meh)
  • Simultaneous Dual-band WiFi (reduced latency for wireless gamers)

V F

V F

Soldato
DirectStorage was going to be the big one, but Microsoft did a U-turn and have said it will come to Windows 10 after all.
Other than that it is slim pickings:
  • Improvements to snap, virtual desktops and multi-monitor support
  • Auto HDR for non-HDR games (also available as a preview for Windows 10)
  • Enhanced security (mostly enabled through the hardened system requirements)
  • Smaller updates (meh)
  • Simultaneous Dual-band WiFi (reduced latency for wireless gamers)

I remember they said enhanced security for Windows 10.

Associate
So I got a new gpu to replace my bricked r9 270x. Installed w11 that I had on my pen from 1/2 weeks ago, so before the launch.
Is my installed w11 version ok to go like this, as in will get updates and be treated as the final version, or do I need to re-create a new usb drive and reinstall windows?

So far, from doing some benchmark stuff (cinebench r15 for example, what I had already on the computer), both cpu and gpu performance went down, and I got a new/better gpu, so I found that a bit odd...
Other than those cinebench results, system is stable, no crashes nor errors, all smooth sailing.
Debating on whether or not to upgrade my 10 year old laptop to w11. i7 620m, hd 5650m gpu...

Soldato
Where did they say this? They would never say that because they can only support the software for so long anyway. That's why they have things like LTSC and Business and Home support requirements.

I think they're referring to the time Microsoft said Windows 10 would be the last numbered version, and a move towards Windows as a service instead.

Soldato
Soldato
I think they're referring to the time Microsoft said Windows 10 would be the last numbered version, and a move towards Windows as a service instead.
Although widely reported, that was only said once, by a Senior Software Developer, during a live event at an Ignite conference. There was never an official statement from Microsoft on this.

They may well have stuck with 10, if macOS 11 didn't happen.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom