*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Well, MS forced an upgrade on my system, absolutely zero option to say no, took me all of ten minutes to utterly hate the lack of taskbar options and usage so I rolled it back which failed spectacularly and left me with a system that wouldn't boot, ended up having to do a full re-install of W10, complete waste of my time to get back to where I was, thankfully the option to refuse the upgrade actually showed up once the fresh install picked it the W11 upgrade. To be fair, the issues with not having a refuse option and the corrupted roll back might very well have been down to BSOD issues I'd had previously due to a faulty CPU but even so, the system appeared to have been working without issue previously, lucky I know what I'm doing with a pc to have been able to sort it, can only imagine the frustration it would have caused a normal user.

Caporegime
Hhhmm all started off so well after my previous W10 brain farted. PUBG crashes constantly and my number 1 suspect is a W11 update. It seems to be struggling to install a couple of dates now (KB5015732 and KB5015814).

V F

V F

Soldato
It's tablet view? Microsofts way.

You going to be Googling a lot on how to do things.

Windows 2000 come out in February 2000
Windows XP come out in October 2001
Windos vista come out in November 2006
Windows 7 come out in October 2009
Windows 8 come out in October 2012
Windows 10 come out in July 2015
Windows 11 come out in October 2021

Which 10 years was it perfected? Nothing was broken from windows 10 to windows 11, it was just (some might say otherwise) improved over windows 10 so they could sell more and make more money even though they give a lot of free copies away.

If you have windows 10 it should be a free upgrade, which OS did you upgrade from? Bare in mind support / updates for windows 10 will run out October 14, 2025. If you want to stop on windows 10 then roll back.
Windows 2000 was great coming from Windows 98 but I lost my functional Aureal Vortex 3D. Drivers kept losing the sound until a reboot, rinse and repeat.
Sad day and frustration when Vista came out. RIP to the hardware accelerated sound cards. All the fun with Alchemy and OpenAL. As well as the years of fun with Vista's desktop drivers crashing.
7, I cannot remember many complaints or personal issues.
8, now that was hilarious to watch. Most people here lost their minds over no start button. Almost riots and picket lines. Only issue I had with 8 was once having a corrupt user profile.
10 falls in line with 7 bar the lack of control over Windows Update.
11 could be the version I miss out on. As it looks like I dodged a bullet with that from all the complaints I keep reading.

I've been on and owned 98/SE, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. 95 was mainly used in college 97 - 2000.

Man of Honour
8, now that was hilarious to watch. Most people here lost their minds over no start button. Almost riots and picket lines. Only issue I had with 8 was once having a corrupt user profile.

Sadly a sign of things to come - if you spend even a few minutes watching a range of users work on a desktop PC it should be painfully apparent very quickly how much a fullscreen menu interrupts the workflow for a significant percentage of users, despite there being some good additions to the OS in other ways and/or for other usage styles. (EDIT: Funny thing with 8 is that most of the [traditional style] start menu stuff still exists in the shell libraries and API back end, etc. - I managed to restore much of the functionality with a bit of shell hacking on my Windows 8 tablet - which is still one of my most used sub-laptop Windows devices).

And sadly the same cluelessness continued with 10 and 11.

The one fundamental purpose of an operating system is to enable the end user, if it doesn't do that well it is trash.

Associate
Sadly a sign of things to come - if you spend even a few minutes watching a range of users work on a desktop PC it should be painfully apparent very quickly how much a fullscreen menu interrupts the workflow for a significant percentage of users, despite there being some good additions to the OS in other ways and/or for other usage styles. (EDIT: Funny thing with 8 is that most of the [traditional style] start menu stuff still exists in the shell libraries and API back end, etc. - I managed to restore much of the functionality with a bit of shell hacking on my Windows 8 tablet - which is still one of my most used sub-laptop Windows devices).

And sadly the same cluelessness continued with 10 and 11.

The one fundamental purpose of an operating system is to enable the end user, if it doesn't do that well it is trash.
I watched a developer discuss the chaos behind the scenes on the interface side. Windows will always suffer from the fact that it needs to support ancient software, otherwise I could see them doing a proper rewrite. I imagine one day there might be two versions of Windows because at the moment, every iteration feels like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

That being said, I find the Windows workflow significantly more friendly than MacOS.

Associate
Flash poll: about to install the OS to a newly built fairly high end system intended for gaming and some creative software (cad/3D modelling / Adobe). Win10 worked super well on my previous system. Should I go direct to windows 11?

Thanks, much appreciated :)

Soldato
Man of Honour
Caporegime
Flash poll: about to install the OS to a newly built fairly high end system intended for gaming and some creative software (cad/3D modelling / Adobe). Win10 worked super well on my previous system. Should I go direct to windows 11?

Thanks, much appreciated :)
windows 11 is fine it's pretty much windows 10 with a crappy task bar and start menu

Man of Honour
Problem is - Microsoft has to please billions of users. Really don't know how they are going to do this if they put everything in what everyone would like.

Would be nice for customisations but that means bloating the install ISOs and customisations then.

That is why you have settings and options and don't ignore how many users use the OS - it isn't like most of these features are mutually exclusive. One of the things earlier Windows did not terribly was acknowledge you can't cater for every user and leave some things a bit open ended so people could mess around a bit and at least get something close to what they needed.

People don't have to use it, there's alternitives. :) Maybe the next OS they might remove the taskbar all together and give it a new name. That will really confuse people.

This isn't like cars - the way things have evolved and the position MS have taken up over the last few decades means that in many cases Windows is the only real option. Sure it is their company and they can do what they want or whatever - but that is trampling over the people who've put Windows into that position. Sadly the OS is increasingly becoming a clown show and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't demand better let alone defend it.

Man of Honour
Clown show......hyperbole :cry:

Works great for me. Some bits could be improved.

Sadly far from hyperbole. I can't say I'd say any of my 10/11 installs "work great" some are passable, after a cocktail of programs like Shutup10 and WUB but still have a level of background activity which isn't ideal.

Even after 7 years!!! they haven't managed to make one unified, well designed, settings/control panel system... let that sink in. (Even the redesigned one in 11 is a ******* abortion and that is putting it politely).

Associate
Sadly far from hyperbole. I can't say I'd say any of my 10/11 installs "work great" some are passable, after a cocktail of programs like Shutup10 and WUB but still have a level of background activity which isn't ideal.

Even after 7 years!!! they haven't managed to make one unified, well designed, settings/control panel system... let that sink in. (Even the redesigned one in 11 is a ******* abortion and that is putting it politely).
I'd image that 90% of the development effort is fixing or working around the absolute abomination of a codebase that is Windows. If it weren't for all the legacy garbage that they had to support, Windows would be a much better platform.

It's probably hard to believe, but a lot of their more recent software is of a really high quality.

Back
Top Bottom