*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Yeh I'm in the beta preview but I believe its coming in general release 22h2, don't hold me to that though I could be wrong. New navbar and icons too.

0qfzpUQ.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
This error keeps popping up for me and neither option makes it go away. It's relating to the one mechanical drive I have, worked fine with recent W11 install. However once this starting showing, the drive said I didn't have access to the various (root) folders on there. Had to individually gain access, CHKDSK won't work as it also says I don't have access. Is the drive on the way out or just W11 being a little OTT?

I recently did a >100GB photo dump on the drive in question with the majority of them going into the recycle bin but have since been deleted from there.

Caporegime
Have you tried deleted the recycle bin folder?

From an elevated command prompt try:

rd /s /q E:\$Recycle.bin
Thanks for replying, I tried yesterday and the problem hasn't returned. However on my last two boots (second one as I'm typing this and it's been on 100% for a minute or two), it's thrown up some sort of disk repair for the drive. All of my photos are on there, might do a disk health check as I have a feeling it's on its way out.

Edit - hhhmm something isn't right. 15 minutes and it was still stuck on 100%. Googled and the only apparent option was to restart, did that, appeared again on POST but it got past it. Windows is being weird; took longer to boot and sign in and Explorer isn't working (saw all but the drive in question first time, signed out and back in and now it just won't load properly).

Last edited:
Caporegime

****, yeah this is borked. The issue is I can barely use Windows, anything that requires HD access is a no go. Wonder if a pre-install environment might do the trick, safe mode didn't resolve anything either.

Man of Honour
Yes but my last off site back is from last summer, annoyingly I haven't edited a holiday from last year so that would be the most painful loss if it all goes.
Sadge, time to sort that out!

If they are that important and it's that broken already, I would just pay a data recovery company to get off what they can. As pointed out above, the more it's used the worse it'll get.

Caporegime
Taking it out as soon as I get back home, replacement ordered. It was reading and writing yesterday so fingers crossed, I'll get the data off. Thanks for your help.

Edit - pulled the data and power cables. Operation sort out a proper backup solution is being expedited :o. Still don't know what the best solution is, almost all of my data that needs backing up/generates new data are my photos off my camera to be edited.

Edit - Windows running fine now the drive is offline. Slax still a good pre-install environment? What I've used to get data off broken Windows installations or dodgy drives before (along with GetDataBack, if it's still a thing).

Edit - perhaps 2 internal mechanical mirrored? An external, my Mega account along with my offsite portable SSD should cover my bases. Software that automatically backs up new files/folders from certain drives/folders on the computer would be nice for the external.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Remember to a degree with mechanical drives when they were failing hard, you had to stick them in the freezer to keep them cold enough for enough time to get data off it before it heated up and started failing?

Back
Top Bottom