Microwave kills my Internet

Man of Honour
As per title. The microwave is fairly central in my house and lies between my router and just about anywhere you'd want to browse. Weirdly, when the microwave is on, it kills the Internet connection on my wifi, yet not the wifi signal itself...?

There are few things more annoying in life than waiting for porridge and having to read something not online. I almost resorted to reading a book yesterday, phew.

Why does this happen? :(

I suppose the best I can hope for is the microwave is leaking raditation and I get super powers, sweeeeeet.

Soldato
ARM THE TINFOIL HATS, and this happens because microwaves send out loads of **** all over the 2.4ghz spectrum. You have a bad microwave is is badly shielded, throw a microwave meal at the person who bought it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Microwave is creating radio interference that is causing packet data loss. So, your computer can still see the WiFi is there, but the data is contains has been disrupted.

Rgds

Soldato
I had a similar issues with a fridge once, it reduced signal strength in a guest room. It's quite amazing though that the connection doesn't drop.

Soldato
Can you move your router to 802.11n 5Ghz? If your router supports it and so does your wireless devices. That moves it off the crowded 2.4Ghz spectrum where baby monitors, wireless telephones and microwaves live.

Alternatively reposition your router or get a newer microwave that has better containment (although it could still affect your wireless depending on position)

Hope that helps.

Soldato
Microwaved porridge?:confused: how lame! Don't tell me, you have microwaved scrambled eggs too! Learn to cook with a conventional cooker,:p food tastes much nicer.

Whilst in general you are correct, you have chosen the two foods which are impossible to tell if they were cooked in a microwave or not.

Soldato
Buy a new Microwave or get a 5GHz router.

I had similar issues about 10 years ago in a rented flat. Whenever the elderly neighbour upstairs had her late evening horlicks my Wifi dropped for about 10 minutes. Microwaves work in the unregulated 2.4Ghz band, just like Wifi, cordless phones and baby monitors.

Back
Top Bottom