Mifi vs data esim for travel?

Associate
I went away in Feb when I had a galaxy s10. I bought a mifi and picked up a data sim, which worked well, but I would have liked an esim from say airlo, but my phone didn't support esim.

Now I have an s23 so I can get an esim. The mifi was good as I could set data limit for connected devices but it was a pain to carry around.

I didn't have roaming enabled on my phone, but as my phone has WiFi calling it worked as though I was at home as long as it was on WiFi, and this has got me wondering. If I use a esim the I assume my phone won't be connected to WiFi, so I'm guessing WiFi calling won't work (unless I come across WiFi somewhere), so is a mifi better than an esim for data when travelling abroad?

Associate
Where are you going?

I took a spare phone to Vietnam, bought a sim with gigabillions of data, chucked in the spare phone and used it as a mobile hotspot for me n the missus.

We weren't going to be making any phone calls, just WhatsApp calls etc.

No mucking about with sims in my primary phone, didn't want to screw that up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We went to London couple of months ago and me and Mrs both got esims me in my pixel 7 pro and her in Samsung 22+ except hers corrupted during installation process and trashed her phone for all sim cards, cellular calling.
Ended up just sharing Data from mine.

The only way to fix it was motherboard replacement, lucky it was still warranty.

Just saying. I know it's rare but crap like this can seem to happen.

I think they are still great but not all operators offer them on PAYG or short term contracts so you'll have to find out. a lot of the esim holiday reseller types charge way over the odds too.

Back
Top Bottom